Going Back To College

I Have Mixed Feelings Going Back To College

I'm not excited for the late-night study sessions, but I am excited to see what campus holds for me this upcoming semester.

20

The end of summer means that it's time to switch over your wardrobe, pack up most of your life into a few suitcases, and say goodbye to your family and friends, in some cases until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Going into my third year of college, I admit that I still feel nervous about going back to college. I consider the long nights of studying and stressing about due dates, I remember going to bed late and waking up early for class, and juggling work, homework, and a social life to try and fit as much as I can into a mere 24 hours.

Of course, I look forward to reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in months, but with the happiness of hanging out with friends comes the pressure of college life. As most post-college graduates and adults have told me since high school, college is supposed to be the best time of my life. However, I quite hope that it is not the case that college is the peak of my life when I hope to have many years into the future to enjoy myself beyond the stress of having a large group of friends, the perfect internship, and a 4.0 GPA.

After three months of summer, during which I was able to spend quality time with friends and family without looming due dates and the fear of not passing a test I prepared vigorously for. Clearly, summer cannot last forever, and the months begin to dwindle as 2018 comes to its final legs, but I am happy for the chance I had to step away from the books and the stresses of school to spend time with the people I love.

I know that, deep down, I am ready to get back to school and work towards the degree I have had my eye on since I first stepped onto campus. Going into my third year, I understand that I am not a freshman anymore. I understand the path I have put myself on, and intend to finish my college experience with my head held high, taking away all of the learning experiences I can along the way, be it through books, or through the people I meet along the way. As I told myself last year, the future remains bright and it's important to take the passage of time into experience.

As I stand, I have no intentions for college to be the best time of my life, but I do want to enjoy it for itself so that, later in life, I can look on it fondly. I'm not excited for the late-night study sessions, but I am excited to see what campus holds for me this upcoming semester, as I am sure it is only for the best.