5 Underrated Places To Study In Madison, Wisconsin

Tired of College and Memorial? These are the places to go to.

687
Wikimedia

With midterm season in full effect, we all need a change of scenery to study in. If you’re tired of memorial library and college library, or you’re someone like me, who's not a library junkie, these five places will be perfect for you. Whether you need a really quiet and studious setting, or a more casual atmosphere, one of these five places is bound to be the perfect place for you to sit down and study for midterms.

1. The SAC

Located right above Fresh Market and in the same location as UHS, this is a perfect place to go and study and caters to all different people. Whether you’re someone who likes to sit at a desk or a table and get right to work, or you’re someone who would rather sit in a comfy chair or even a bean bag on the floor, and study, the Student Activity Center is the place for you.

With a beautiful view of campus and windows surrounding the room, the natural daylight penetrates in and makes you not so miserable to be studying.

Sometimes it can be a little louder, so if you’re the type of person who likes to a hear a pin drop when studying, this may not be the place for you.

2. The Wisconsin Historical Society

This is by far one of my favorite places to study in Madison. The Wisconsin Historical Society is one of those pretty building you pass on your way to class and wonder what is in there. Well, on the second floor is a small library that is great for studying.

It is quiet and there are individual lamps on every table with outlets to use. Not to mention the building is also beautiful inside as well. It is the perfect place for someone who wants to get out of the library but still needs a quiet place to study.

3. The Discovery Building

Everyone always says the Discovery Building is one of the best places to study in. Although it is a little on the far side, anyone who is near Union South, the chemistry building or any other building in that direction should definitely take advantage of this building.

There is a cafe with great food options, plenty of chairs, comfy seating and tables to sit and it is quiet. This building is most definitely underrated and should be taken advantage of because it does not disappoint.

4. Memorial Union

This building is one of the most underrated buildings to study because everyone usually just associates it with the terrace and being outside when the weather is nice. However, this is a great place to go even when the weather is not so nice.

With the very recent renovations done on the inside, there are a ton of cafes and great places to eat at, comfy couches and tables to sit, and of course, the great view of Lake Mendota and the terrace.

5. Madison Public Library

This spot is completely underrated. In fact, I think most students may be unaware that it is a great place to study at and is not far from campus at all. Located just a block off of State Street, it is a beautiful building made of many glass windows that let in the natural light.

It is quiet and has plenty of places to study and great resources to access. If you need a change of scenery and love studying in the library, this is the perfect place to come to. Forget Memorial Library and College Library, the Madison Public Library is definitely the best of the three.