Undercover Boss From A Business Graduate's Perspective

16
CNBC

Throughout school, I was always interested in the "real life application" of the concepts I was learning about. I really enjoyed all of my business classes, but I desperately wanted to see my textbook chapters come to life. After graduating, I have found myself in a variety of industries. I enjoyed learning the products, analyzing trends and seeing how different companies operated. I was finally seeing the "real life application" of my textbook chapters.

I recently found myself watching a lot of Undercover Boss. It's a very entertaining show as well as a great way to learn about different businesses. It's impressive that upper level managers are willing to give up so many of their daily comforts to participate in the show. Many of the participants go from having a live in housekeeper to cleaning toilets themselves. At the end of each episode, each participant has a greater understanding of what happens on the front line.

The reveals are always the most emotional part of the show. Frequently, the employees had no idea that they were working alongside their CEO. More often than not, the participant gives monetary gifts to the employees they shadowed during their week undercover.

Another great benefit companies receive from participating in Undercover Boss is free publicity. Even after I finish an episode, I always have the featured company on my mind. Undercover Boss leaves viewers with an important takeaway; always take care of your customers and your employees.