UNCW Stands Up To Sexual Assault

UNCW Stands Up To Sexual Assault

98
UNCW Stands Up To Sexual Assault
wortfm.org

Sexual assault is not just something scary you hear about in Law and Order SVU following the catchy theme song. It's real, it's pressing, and it's affecting every college campus.

The documentary The Hunting Ground (available on Netflix) details the boundaries that students who have been sexually assaulted have faced in trying to report sexual assault. One in five women reported experiencing rape at some point in their life. 37.4 percent of female rape victims were first raped between the ages of 18 and 24.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and UNCW chooses to stand up to sexual violence and challenge stereotypes that contribute to sexual assault. CARE, The Collaboration for Assault Response and Education, also known as UNCW's on-campus resource for sexual assault, interpersonal violence, stalking, and harassment, has a multitude of events coming up to help engage the entire campus community in preventing sexual assault.

Speak Out, a night where students can come and share their story will be held on April 14 in the Clocktower lounge. Students will have the option to remain anonymous. Feel free to stop by one of CARE's tables on campus this month to collect a teal ribbon and proudly wear it on your backpack or laptop. Also feel free to stop by DePaolo hall on April 12 and make your own t-shirt that supports your stance on preventing sexual assault with other peers.

Also, check out the #startbybelieving campaign coined by Wilmington's Rape Crisis Center. It features students holding up signs that say why they believe when someone tells them they have been sexually assaulted. Feel free to stop by the Student Recreation Center to create your own #startbybelieving saying and have a picture of it posted on social media. CARE has made this month visible for students by hosting many events.

April is a time to get involved, challenge stereotypes, and challenge sexual violence. We stand up to sexual assault by uniting as a campus that is truly committed to change.