Lost Then Found At A Twenty One Pilots Concert

They're Twenty One Pilots and so are we.

50
Brad Heaton

“Am I the only one I know, waging my wars behind my face and above my throat,” Tyler Joseph of Twenty One Pilots sings out to the crowd. It’s my second time hearing this lyric live, my second time seeing this band.

As he sings that lyric, you know he’s not the only one who’s felt this way as the crowd sings back with all the gut-bursting passion they can manage. At the time, I’m sure Tyler did feel that he was alone in this aspect. Felt that loneliness and frustration one feels when it comes to communicating your truest, and rawest emotions.

I’m sure that individuals in the crowd also felt this singularity. Of course, until they heard this song. Until they heard any Twenty One Pilots song, really.

We have all felt lost. Whether it be for a second or practically our whole lives. We can be thrown into situations where it seems as if we have no idea what to do. When that happens, our emotions build up. We’re submerged into an ocean of our worries, fears, doubts, and so on. These negative voices that Twenty One Pilots so often sing about, tend to overpower the positive ones.

Though we have these voices- these overwhelming emotions, we are not truly alone. Twenty One Pilots not only reminds us of that when we listen to their music say, on our phone, but also when we step into one of their concerts.

The atmosphere of a Twenty One Pilots’ concert is like no other. When I saw them for a second time, I felt as if I was walking into a warm familiar coat. I felt as if I was returning home.

Did this feeling evaporate every worry that was on my mind? Did it make all my doubts and fears vanish completely? No. What it did do was give me the comfort and strength I would need to face them after the concert was over. To put it into terms of their song “Goner”. It was as if Tyler and Josh were helping me catch my breath.

Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun do not hold back on expressing their emotions when they perform for their fans. You can see the happiness, the gratefulness, the hopefulness, and even the pain. Tyler is singing his heart out to the crowd and the crowd is singing right back. We might be singing back for different reasons, but the fact that we’re singing back unifies us. At this moment, we are in this together with Tyler and Josh.

What I’m saying can be even better expressed in their song “Screen," when Tyler sings, “There are some people who have a really tough time getting through this life, so excuse us while we sing to the sky.”

I mean, that’s exactly what we get to do at their concert. We get to sing to the sky.

So, to my fellow lost souls, my fellow wanderers: if you ever have the chance to see Twenty One Pilots live, I urge you to go.

I will forever be thankful for those two for sharing the music they do. Thankful for Tyler saying what many are afraid to. Thankful for Josh for teaching our hearts how to thump to a different a beat.

To wrap this up, I'll leave you with a reminder that Tyler says at the end of their concerts: