how to get in shape
Wellbeing

For The Girl Trying To Get Back In Shape, You Got This

The struggle is real, but it will be worth it.

86

Over the last few years, working out became less and less important in my life. From working full time to going to school full time, I would have to choose between sleeping or choosing to work out. Last week, I decided it was time to step back into the gym. I pictured walking into the gym as a glorious homecoming. Instead, I was hit with reality and self-consciousness. That first day I wanted to walk right back out of the gym. As a curvy, size 16 woman, I quickly realized I didn't fit in.

I got onto the bike and quickly realized how out of shape I truly was. Part of me wondered how this even happened. I used to play year-round sports and work out twice a day. Then life happened. My body is no longer what it once was. And while I am proud of my body, I want my body to be as healthy as it can be. This is less about trying to fit into America's "perfect" body type but instead trying to be the happiest, healthiest version of me.

Choosing to get back in shape is an important choice. I always thought of my body as a temple. Now my temple needs to clean up a bit. Get healthier. Have more energy. Have more fun.

For all of the girls or guys out there trying to get back in shape, you got this. It may seem daunting. You may work out once and wonder how in the world you are going to do this. Remember, take it one step at a time. There is no secret recipe for success when it comes to getting back in shape. It takes time, dedication, and motivation.

There are so many different workouts and health programs out there. Figure out what works for you. Each of us has different bodies and different needs. There is no one size fits all for getting in shape. Sometimes it will be trial and error. You may hate a certain workout or health "food", but do not worry, there is a right fit out there for you!

And for all the people who choose to judge you rather than support, do not listen to them. You are trying to become healthier, an important life choice that can help you live longer and enjoy your life to the fullest. Your body, your choice.

While it is your body, please take care of it. Get the nutrients you need. I see so many people barely eating to try and lose weight. Feed yo'self. Find out which diet provides you important nutrients and works for your body type. Getting healthy does not mean starving yourself. It means making healthier choices. Maybe it is eating a salad rather than fried food. Maybe it is actually eating three meals a day instead of skipping breakfast. No matter what, take care of your body's needs and listen to what your body needs.

Getting healthy is a decision you will not regret in the long run. Yes, some days you will be frustrated. Some days you will be cranky. Some days you will have no motivation. In the long run, your body will thank you. Don't lose your motivation. Be the happiest, healthiest you. You got this.