The Truth About Your High School Friendships AFTER High School
Friendships

Best friends forever right?

878

In high school, I was extremely involved, everyone knew me, and I knew everyone. The number of people I would text on a daily basis would be around twenty and I would Snapchat around 60 people a day. I had a sweet sixteen and had a guest list of 240 people. I understand that high school isn't necessarily like this for everyone, but I was involved in twelve clubs, was student body president for two years, was nominated in the homecoming court for my four years there, and was on a friendly basis with every individual. I was that person who would just say "hi" to people in the hallway in passing.

Being in high school I would always hear the seniors who graduated before me talk about how drastically their friendships changed, my mom would constantly tell me how she talks to five friends from high school, and I really couldn't wrap my head around that. I interacted with a ton of people online, but even more in person, and I thought that it would stay the same after high school. I mean sure, I figured that it would mostly be all online interaction as I was going to a college out of state, but that's not the case.

The interactions I have with these "friends" consist of maybe three individuals who I talk to once a week — if that.

Everyone else, all those people who I felt so bonded to, I will occasionally like their Instagram picture or retweet their tweet, but that's as far as it extends. It's weird. In high school, you are surrounded by these people who you grow up with, and you don't realize how big the world truly is. Once you leave high school you see that there's more to life than just your town.

I'm glad that I have my three friends from high school because those are the people who want to be in your life. It's not that those friends from high school don't but college is about self-discovery. It's about finding those who are there for the long run, and in college, I have found that. I've found people who will be my friends for life.