Why You Need To Trust The Rocks

Why You Need To Trust The Rocks

Learning that God has your back no matter what.

16
Why You Need To Trust The Rocks
Chloé Fletcher

Something important that I have learned in life is that I need to trust the rocks. You may be wondering, “Chloé, what does this even mean?” and I will get to the meaning in a second, but first let me tell you the backstory to this phrase.

I am dating a very adventurous, outdoors-y guy (pictured above in my cover photo). I love him to death, but naturally, I am completely the opposite. I am a city girl who loves the beauty of nature but has a hard time exploring the great outdoors, and wouldn't ya know it, he loves to hike! I always seem to struggle keeping up with him, but he graciously waits for me at the bottom of each hill. As I watch him effortlessly jog down the mountain, I wonder to myself, “How does he do that?!” Well, I finally decided to ask him, “How do you so effortlessly jog down the hill without being afraid you will fall flat on your face?” and he responded with the simple phrase of, “I trust the rocks!”

This is a phrase I have made a goal to live by everyday. He went on to explain that if you constantly worry that you will fall, or that a rock will move beneath your footing and make you unsteady, you will get no where. You have to trust the foundation beneath you in order to look ahead to what is in front of you. I believe that this lesson applies to our every day lives more than we realize. How often do we question ourselves, “Am I doing the right thing?” or, “Did I make the right choice?” How often do we regret a decision we made, or think about how things would be different if we had made a contrasting decision. I know that I, personally, tend to let these thoughts consume my mind more than I want to willingly admit. Yet, just like my boyfriend explained about trusting the rocks, if we don't trust our foundation, we can’t move forward or look towards our future. We would be so focused on the past that it is blinding us to the present.

So, what do I mean by trusting the rocks? This phrase reminds me daily to trust my foundation. I try not to constantly question if I made the right decisions; I do my best to trust that I did the right thing and that where I am, right here and now, is exactly where I am supposed to be. I am not saying that every rock will be a perfectly solid foundation. Some rocks will be loose, and cause you to stumble. Trust me, my boyfriend and I have had our fair share of tumbles down the mountain, and I’m sure you have also! It is possible that you could make mistakes that lead to terrible outcomes, but it is how you pick yourself up from the fall that determines your strength and courage.

God has a plan for you and for me; this plan is perfectly tailored to you, and only you. There are no duplicates; You're a special, one-of-a-kind copy! Trust that He is bringing you on a journey that only He knows is best for you. Find purpose in your everyday lives, find the reason why God put you in a certain situation. Talk to Him about why something didn't go the way you wanted it to. Ask Him to open your mind and show you why your own will was not His will. Whether the reason may be great or small, I encourage you to trust that He is bringing you on a journey that is irreplaceable and extraordinary. Let Him paint your life in accordance to His will.