Trump is placing America in a bad light

Trump Has Done More To Damage This Country's Reputation Than Good

My thoughts on the current state of our country

76
flickr

As I've grown older I've come to realize that there's virtually no escape from the news. CNN and Fox are always shown on television at the gym, I get updates on my phone, I participate in class discussions over current events, and I'm always hearing about the latest headlines at home. For the past couple of years the topic of discussion has usually been a Trump-related issue. I don't really dab into politics when it comes to writing, but after recent events regarding The Mexican-United States Border, I can't just keep silent.

Donald Trump has been involved in numerous controversies since his campaign and election. Off the top of my head, I can recall a few of them; He referred to Haiti and African nations as "sh*thole countries", there was his sexist and questionably predatory remark about women, there was his back-and-forth with Kim-Jong Un, he issued the Muslim travel ban, there's the Stormy Daniels case, the Comey investigation , his indifference toward the racial violence in Charlottesville, his appeasement toward white supremacist groups, his refusal to properly aid Puerto Rico after that hurricane (He even had the nerve to reprimand them for it), now he's cool with separating families at the border. Clearly an ethical man of high morals...

It's perplexing, really. This is the man whom we, as a country, collectively chose to represent us? As POTUS, he's done more damage to the country's reputation than good; He's isolating us from our key allies and even insults them, racial tension and violence have risen, and his latest stance on immigration is sure to attract more international attention. These are but a handful of his deplorable actions. The racist rhetoric coming from Washington DC shows that The White House is content with impeding progress and retrogressing the country.

All that being said, I believe that this is a sad time to be an American. Apart from the surprise mass shootings, increasing police militarization and brutality, mass surveillance, and mass incarceration (among other issues), it seems the circus has taken over The White House. We have a senile closet-racist as our country's president whose main concerns lie with harassing the NFL, starting Twitter beefs and playing golf, rather than ensuring the welfare of his country's people.