Treat Yourself With Kindness Because Life Isn't Always Going To Be Perfect

Getting anxious about the uncertainties and possibilities of things in your life really won't do you any good.

26

A major form of my anxiety is being a control freak. The source of the anxiety comes from me always wondering what will happen next to prevent the uncertainty from getting to me. I always have a back up plan and think about what course of action I will take when shit needs to get done.

Despite how careful I am, my foresight does not help me learn to become flexible and adaptable with my life.

Presently, I live in a world that is a touch screen away from finding all the answers to my minimalist problems. The quest for instant gratification is like a daily shot of caffeine I crave.

As an adult, it is expected of me to compose myself and know where my place is in society so I am able to conduct my responsibilities in an orderly manner. At least, this is what I had thought originally...

See, life is hard. It's a real pain in the ass, and things never go according to plan. When things do go awry, I throw a temper tantrum. Not in the sense where I am throwing things against the wall and screaming like a child would. It is more like crying, shaking, walking outside in an aimless manner and calling loved ones non-stop until they pick up.

Talk about conducting oneself in an orderly manner, let alone being mentally healthy. (Yikes.)

I like to work hard, it keeps the engine running along with the source of foresight. If the engine stops, then I become uneasy with the uncertainty of a situation or what could or will not happen.

It's funny because when I do sit down and try to critically think, I think harshly and end up becoming indecisive about the matter at hand. The reality of this is that I have a hard time accepting things as they are.

This is a messed up cycle, and it should be broken.

To be flexible and adaptable, I am required to take a step back and give myself a well earned break. I want to treat my self-esteem and personality like I would to a five-year-old child. I wouldn't speak harshly to a kid (especially to one as bright as myself.)

That child should be treated with kindness and given more rewards for their best efforts.

When there's a failure or bump in the road, it's not the end of the world. I want to instead just laugh at it and not self-criticize and agonize over something I never had control over in the first place. When I do overreact and ruffle everyone's feathers, I could chuckle and say, "boy, the hen house is now pretty loud," (My dear family is practically three hens and two roosters).

In a non-judgmental way, I can analyze why I am upset and where the source is coming from. Then, a word of kindness I say to myself is that life isn't perfect, and that is OK.

Life is a pretty long journey, and things are not perfect. The best way to be is to accept the reality of a situation and be adaptable and flexible.