To The Teacher Who Was So Much More

A Letter To The Teacher Who Was So Much More

Thank you for teaching me not only about English but also about life.

397

Dear Mrs. Hogarth,

I thought picture was appropriate to start with, considering senior year truly has a 'ridiculous beginning'. However, let the seniors that you have this year know that English 41 will lead them to some great thoughts. As I look back on my senior year of high school and move on into my college years, I am so glad I ended up in your class. Seriously, I should probably also thank Mrs. McDonough for talking me out of AP Lit. I signed up thinking I was in for another year of metaphors and nice, inspirational mantras when I first came into your class. Well, I was. But I got that and so much more.

Thank you for making me think. It seemed that with every text we read there was some deeper meaning that I found relatable. I always found myself thinking hard about the little details and metaphors that the authors may or may not have meant to put in. Our discussions made me want to dig deeper and constantly look for more. I would get an idea in my head and run with it, and I loved that feeling.

Thank you for teaching me how to keep an open mind. Especially during the Frankenstein trial, I thought there was no possible way the defense could come up with an argument. I begged to be a prosecutor and while Kim, Jack and I managed to win two-thirds of the case, I started to see some reasoning behind the other side. Maybe Victor Frankenstein was just misunderstood! In the bigger picture, I realized I had been reading this book from one point of view the entire time. Then I realized I probably do that with a lot of other things and don't even notice. There will always be an opposing opinion and there will always be a different point of view. Now I'll be more wary of the fact that the defense may come up with a winning argument, and maybe I'll be able to see their side.

Thank you for perfectly exemplifying how to not take life so seriously. From telling crazy stories in class to simply pausing to laugh with/at Mrs. Kempner, I knew every day of class would end up being a treat. Maybe it was because I was actually paying attention in your class rather than half-sleeping through a pre-calc lecture, but you showed me that not all work is boring! Somewhere in between the happiness and laughs from class, we all got some work done throughout the year. Instead of reading 40 pages a night, I'd say Shakespeare is definitley better learned with a certain Matt Borjes acting as Hamlet.

Lastly, thank you for making me realize what I wanted my life to look like. I don't care how corny it is, but this whole point of finding meaning and purpose in life that you taught me has truly stuck with me. When I am struggling with something I think of Sisyphus, pushing his rock up the hill and refusing to be upset about it. I think about persevering and I think about using all of the strength I have to avoid "running to the fence" and giving up. When I accomplish something, I remember the times I struggled and worked painfully hard to have had accomplished it. For it is the meaning behind the suffering and remembering that suffering, that makes victory so sweet.

I think of you and the way you teach to be very inspirational. Your happiness and love for your job sets you apart from every other teacher I have had, and is noted by every student of yours that I've talked to. Simply, I hope to find the same happiness and meaning that you have clearly found, in whatever I do.

Thank you.

Camryn Ryan 2018