Top 5 Masterpieces Of Art

Top 5 Masterpieces Of Art

According to me, at least.

103
Top 5 Masterpieces Of Art
Wiki Art

Everyone should take time to appreciate and explore the world of art. In a world where productivity and money are so heavily valued, it wouldn't hurt to reintroduce the value of art and expression of emotion and creativity. In light of this, I figured that I'd post five of my favorite works of art that I've come across so far. Before I start, the cover of this article is a painting by Marc Chagall called 'The Concert,' and it came very close to being one of the top five on my list.

'Starry Night' by Vincent Van Gogh

The great thing about this piece is its motion. The swirls and dashes help to simulate motion in the sky. The colors are also really well used and make the painting seem really alive. Also interesting in this painting is the contrast between the brightness of the moon and the stars and the darkness of the town. This also ties in with the motion of the sky versus the lack of motion in the town. All in all, this is Van Gogh's masterpiece and it deserves all of the fame that it gets.

'Nighthawks' by Edward Hopper

Nighthawks is just a really pleasing painting to look at. It depicts some people sitting at a diner in New York. I think this video describes the painting most perfectly, so definitely check it out if you're interested. For me, this painting is pleasant because it has a city setting (and I love the city).

'I and the Village' by Marc Chagall

When I first got into art, it was Marc Chagall who got me into it. His art is colorful and playful, including several strange scenes crammed onto a canvas. This one in particular is a tribute to his childhood and his home town of Vitebsk. The strange looking scenes that I've mentioned are all symbolic of different aspects of his life, meaning this painting not only visually appealing but also very meaningful. If you're interested in this painting and want to learn more about it, check out what the Museum of Modern Art has to say about it.

'The Scream' by Edvard Munch

When I talk about art showing emotion, this one always comes to mind. The fear and terror contained within the chaos of 'The Scream' almost feels real when you look at it.

'The Gulf Stream' by Winslow Homer

Ever since I saw this painting, I've loved it. The feeling of hopelessness is perfectly captured in it, as you can see sharks surrounding the man who seems lost at sea. In the distance to the right, what looks like a water spout rages. However, as a sign of slight hope, there is a ship in the upper left of the painting which may (to the optimistic mind) save him. If you're interested, here is a very interesting take I found on this painting.

I just want to say, to conclude this list, that art is subjective and, in being so, is personal. Everyone will have a different top 5 of works of art and that's why it's so interesting. However, because of this, to claim that these are the objective 'top five paintings ever' or anything like that would be absurd. All art is a show of either creativity or emotion and all art is valuable.

The sources of the images of these paintings can be found by clicking on them. If you're interested in learning more about art and paintings, I'd definitely recommend visiting a museum or looking up art online. Thank you for reading!