Top 12 Christmas Songs

Top 12 Christmas Songs

'Tis the season to be jolly!

445
Top 12 Christmas Songs

Christmas season is finally approaching, and I know everyone, like myself, are anxiously awaiting the day filled with family, presents, and laughter. It's a time of joy and cheer, but what really makes Christmas as amazing as it is? The family getting together? Of course. The food? Duh. But what about the songs? The songs are what build up the anticipation and make Christmas that much more enjoyable, as they are only played around this time of year.

And while it is definitely difficult to make up a ranking of the best Christmas songs, here is what I have concluded as the top 12 Christmas songs:

12. "Winter Wonderland"

"Sleigh bells ring are you listening?
In the lane snow is glistening.
A beautiful sight oh we're happy tonight
Walking in a winter wonderland.
"

This song gives you the depiction of a perfect Christmas with all of its descriptions and use of imagery. Fun fact: this song was released in 1934 and has been covered by over 200 artists.

11. "Santa Clause is Coming to Town"

"He sees you when you're sleeping,

He knows when you're awake.
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake."

It's highly probable that this was your parent's go-to song during Christmas time, especially if you weren't behaving. This will always be a classic as long as Santa is around, and the kids, and myself, obviously love it. Also, I suggest watching the movie if you haven't.

10. "Grown Up Christmas List"

"No more lives torn apart,
That wars would never start
And time would heal our hearts."

This is a more grown up Christmas song (pun intended). It consists of a Christmas list that I think everyone should have, and it hits the heart, especially due to recent events.

9. "Carol of the Bells"

So this song actually doesn't have any lyrics, but it is still a really good one! It lifts your spirits with the way the instruments play throughout the duration of the song.

8. "A Holly Jolly Christmas"

"Have a holly, jolly Christmas;

It's the best time of the year
I don't know if there'll be snow
but have a cup of cheer.
"

This has always been one of my favorite Christmas songs, especially when I was a kid. If you don't feel jolly as soon as this song starts, then I question how much you love Christmas.

7. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

"It's the most wonderful time of the year.

There'll be much mistletoeing
And hearts will be glowing
When love ones are near."

It really is the most wonderful time of the year, as the song says it numerous times. This one exudes a cheerful energy and it's definitely contagious.

6. "O' Holy Night"

"A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new glorious morn
Fall on your knees
"

This is such a beautiful and powerful Christmas song. I always find myself looking at the best covers of this song on YouTube during the season, which includes some of the greatest singers like Josh Groban, Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion.

5. "It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas"

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas;
Soon the bells will start,
And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing
Right within your heart!"

This is the perfect song to start off the Christmas season because it is guaranteed to get you in the high spirits that is needed to appreciate this exuberant season.

4. "Where Are You Christmas?"

"My world is changing,
I'm rearranging
Does that mean Christmas changes too?
"

The famous song that is featured in "The Grinch" and sung by the cutest little girl, Cindy Lou Who. This song always finds its way to make me shed a tear or two because of the authentic words and the powerful vocals, such as Faith Hill, that lets this song soar.

3. "White Christmas"

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write.
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.
"

This, along with the movie, is a staple to Christmas time. It gives the picture perfect snowy, white Christmas that everyone dreams and hopes of happening each year.

2. "All I Want for Christmas is You"

"I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know.
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you.
"

I know -- how is this not number one? Well, it's not. If you want, you can tell yourself the saying "first is the worst, second is the best," to help you cope with this decision of mine because I'm sticking with it. I love this song as much as the next person does because of its catchy tune and the incredible vocals done by Mariah Carey.

1. "The Christmas Song"

"And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two.
Although it's been said many times, many ways
Merry Christmas to you.
"

This song instantly makes me feel peaceful and at home. With the opening lyrics, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire," I'm not sure how you could possibly not like this song. It has always been an absolute favorite of mine, flooding my brain with incredible memories of my past Christmas celebrations with my family. Nat King Cole's song, and his whole album, will make you ready for the season of Christmas in no time.