Top 10 Sports Movies To See Before You Die

Cue the training montage.

81
Esquire

Sports movies vary a lot. From tales of underdogs overcoming the odds to tales of odd characters that deliver a lot of laughs winning the big one, there is one for everyone. But there are some that are must-see flicks. And I have 10 of them to watch in order from least essential to watch to most essential to watch.

10. "Space Jam"

Yes. This is a must-see for a pretty big reason. It's famous NBA star Michael Jordan mixing it up with aliens while on the same team as Bugs Bunny. Yes. I said Bugs Bunny. And Daffy Duck. And Porky Pig. And the rest of the Looney Tunes gang. So if you didn't get the chance to see this one when you were a kid, go out and find it!

9. "Caddyshack"

This golf comedy follows a young caddy as he works at a fancy country club to earn money for college. With notable names in this movie such as Chevy Chase and Bill Murray, this flick is definitely worth a watch.

8. "The Rookie"

Based on a true story, this baseball drama follows the rise of Jim Morris, a relief pitcher for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays whose MLB career spanned from 1999 to 2000. Produced by Walt Disney Pictures and with Dennis Quaid portraying Morris, the movie just might bring a tear to your eye by the time the credits roll.

7. "Happy Gilmore"

Another golf comedy. This one stars famous comedy actor Adam Sandler as he portrays aspiring hockey player turned golf star Happy Gilmore who has a devastating slap shot that actually does pretty well on the golf course.

6. "The Bad News Bears"

This baseball comedy follows the story of Morris Buttermaker, a former minor-league baseball player who is now an alcoholic who cleans swimming pools for a living. He is paid by a city councilman to coach a bunch of little league rejects which leads to one crazy baseball season.

5. "The Blind Side"

Based on a true story, this football drama follows the life of Michael Oher, who is a current offensive lineman for the Carolina Panthers. The story stars Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw as Oher's guardians Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy as they guide and help Michael through his senior year of high school.

4. "Remember the Titans"

Based on a true story, this football drama shows the struggle of an African-American football coach portrayed by Denzel Washington as he attempts to integrate a high school football team in 1971 Virginia. This story is a tear-jerker due to the fight against racism portrayed in the film.

3. "The Karate Kid"

This martial arts underdog story shows Daniel LaRusso as he and his mother move from New Jersey all the way to California. Daniel learns karate from their maintenance man Mr. Miyagi to defend himself against bullies. (Hint: the final scene is to die for.)

2. "Facing the Giants"

This football drama follows the struggle of a head coach who has not had a winning record in his six-year tenure at a Christian academy. On top of that, his truck is a piece of crap and he is the reason he cannot get his wife pregnant. He gets a new philosophy to praise God no matter what happens to him, and his life begins to turn around.

1. "Rocky"

"Yo Adrienne! I did it!!" This is the movie that legendary line comes from as this cinema masterpiece follows the career of boxer Rocky Balboa as he is picked to face world heavyweight champion Apollo Creed. This story is the ultimate version of the American dream as the rags to riches story of Rocky will forever live on as one of the best sports movies of all time.

So, if you have not seen these sports movies, there's still time! Go find them! They're out there and ready to be enjoyed by you!