The Top 10 Movies You Need To See Over Your Holiday Break

Christmas wouldn't be without these movies.

66
Amazows

Warning: There May Be Spoilers!

Ok, so now that we have all have gotten through Thanksgiving, now is the appropriate time to get ready for Christmas. Most college campuses end the semester a week or two before Christmas, which means no school work, no studying, and no exams!

With that being said, here are my top 10 Christmas movies that is a must see during this holiday season. But let's be real here, we've all probably seen these movies a few million times and can quote the entire thing by heart. If you don't celebrate Christmas, I don't mean to offend you. These movies are still a good watch and are also kid friendly.

1. Elf

Elf probably has to be one of my favorite Christmas movies because let's be honest. Buddy the Elf is that one person who isn't afraid to be himself. He's funny, he's goofy, and sometimes he doesn't know any better but that's why we love him. My favorite part would have to be where he busts into his dad's office while he is in a very important meeting claiming he's in love then mistakes the author for an elf. See for yourself.

2. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Now, I have only seen the first home alone a few times, and there is in fact a 3rd one but let's be honest. The third one doesn't have any of the same actors and it isn't really as appealing. Also, Kevin is a pretty clever 9 year old and the burglars are pretty dumb. Kevin would be that younger brother that I'd totally want. No offense to my actual younger bro. He also has a big heart. Remember the homeless pigeon lady he befriended? So cute!

3. The Christmas Story

With this movie I can only handle once or twice a year. TBS has this movie on a marathon for 24 hours. However, it is a classic. A pretty funny classic at that. Movie is about an elementary school kid who doesn't exactly fit in. He wants a red ryder BB gun but people keep telling him no. "You'll shoot your eye out kid." is one of the most famous lines from that movie. Let's not forget the time that he licked an ice cold pole in the middle of winter and got his tongue stuck.

If you've never watched it, then you need to!

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Any Tim Burton fans know this one. Though I lost interest in his films, this one will remain a classic for me. The catchy music and all. The love connection between Jack and Sally is totally adorable. I'd describe it as a dark twist to the grinch who stole christmas. However, instead of stealing christmas presents, he steals Santa.

5. Disney's A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol is a story in of itself. There are a thousand movies made about it, but because I live, eat, and breathe disney. I had to list this one. Scrooge is a grump and he's visited by 3 ghosts (ghost of Christmas Past, ghost of Christmas present and ghost of Christmas yet to come) to try and turn his debbie downer attitude around and make him appreciate Christmas and get into the Christmas spirit. It also shows how crappy a holiday can be when someone has a bad attitude. So this holiday season, don't be a scrooge!

6. Disney's the Polar Express

I remember going to see this at our IMAX theater as a family. Tom Hanks plays the conductor, as he should because let's be real. Tom Hanks is pretty badass. This story is about believing. Not exactly believing in Santa, but about believing in Christmas in general. The boy gets a bell, but the parents can't hear it ring becase they don't believe. However, the kid can. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, it's still a good watch.

7. The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause

This one so totally ties with Elf as far as my favorites! Tim Allan and Martin Short are a perfect duo for this. It centers around Santa's workshop at the North Pole. Everyone arrives for a meeting-including Jack Frost. Frost wants to become Santa so he tricks Santa and roles get reversed. So it's up to Santa's niece to save the day! Oh, and not to mention there is a Frank Sinatra rendition of a song packed into it. Who doesn't love Frank Sinatra?

8. It's A Wonderful Life

This one is an oldie, but a goodie. It's in black and white, and it's more of a Christian based film. Whether you are a Christian or not, this is still a really goody. George Bailey is suicidal and tries to kill himself. As a result, an angel is assigned to be his guardian angel. This angel shows flashbacks of George's life, and also shows George what his life would be like had he would have never been born. He tries to fix things, but nobody remembers him. As a result of George never being born, his wife never married. She gets freaked out when he comes up to her and says that he's her husband. I mean, wouldn't you if a complete stranger told you they were married to you? You really have to watch the movie for yourself to understand the angle and the dynamic of the movie.

9. A Charlie Brown Christmas

This is more of a tv special than a movie. A Charlie Brown Christmas focuses on the Christian story of Christmas and the story of Jesus' birth. So again, it's Christian based and it might not appeal to you. Charlie Brown is depressed by the time Christmas comes around. He confides in many of his "friends" but they all just continue to put him down and classify Charlie's behavior as typical. He sees Lucy at her "psychiatric" booth and she basically says that he has a lot of different phobias. He decides to put on a play. He quickly loses control and gets frustrated at the rehearsals and finds out that nobody really knows what Christmas is all about. This is where the Christian part comes in. He basically quotes the section in the bible that talks about Jesus' birth, then storms off with the Christmas tree he found earlier. His friends find him and they start decorating the tree and realize the error of their ways and make amends with Charlie Brown. Even if you don't believe in Christianity, it is still a cute, family-friendly movie that you could probably enjoy with your family!

10. Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas

With this movie, you can take two different routes. You could go the animated version, or the live action version. Both movies essentially have the same plot. Christmas is a big deal for the citizens of whoville, except the Grinch. So, the Grinch comes up with a plan to ruin Christmas. He steals all of the presents. By Christmas Day, the citizens of Whoville are singing Christmas Carols rather than being all upset because let's be real here. Christmas isn't about the presents. It's about spending time with your friends and family, and the gift of giving. Christmas spirit also plays a huge role.

Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, these movies are a really good watch! I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday, and I hope that you watch at least one of these classics!