To The Working Girl In College

To The Working Girl In College

Being someone who has to work your way through college can be really hard to handle.

6
To The Working Girl In College
Peyton Davis

In order to go out of state for college, I always knew I was going to have to work my way through college. I knew after my Freshmen year of college in order to keep my loan amounts down I needed to work throughout the summer and especially during the school year. It was hard for me to find on-campus jobs that would be willing to work around my schedule. I also knew working meant I would have to work some weekends and potentially miss out on the college fun with my friends. I was able to find an on-campus job at my university's bookstore that allowed me the flexibility I needed. However, it still sucks having to work in college. When my peers are off on the weekends at the bars I have to work instead. When my peers are sleeping in I am about at 6:30 to work a morning shift. I work a very easy cashier job so it's not complicated but it stinks knowing I have to be continuously working throughout the week to be able to do the things my peers do without working. I come from a family that is not super well off and I knew going to college I would pay for all my own expenses. While my peers are off getting monthly allowances from their parents or being able to just text their parents asking for money I am working countless hours to just pay my bills let alone do other fun stuff like going out to dinner. I just wish I did not have to work so hard to pay my way through college.

I know that other people in college struggle like I do financially too. I just want others to know it's okay to get sad or upset about how hard you work in college just to feel equal to your peers. I work so hard when it comes to work and school because I have so many goals for my future. I refuse to allow the fact that I am not better off financially destroy my future chances at success. I can just be as successful as my peers who have things handed them. If I continue to work my job I get the chance to pay off some of my bills and get closer to a debt-free life. It may take me longer to financially be stable but I know it is all going to be worth it in the end. Having to work through college is not the end of the world. It is okay to have to work and just know you will find a job in college that you will not mind and you will meet some really great coworkers. These coworkers are just like you and have to work for everything they have. They will understand you financially and coworkers are the best to talk to for advice. To anyone out there who is like me and has to work in college do not ket it define you. Also, find moments where you can work less and enjoy normal college things. It is okay to one week not work so many hours and allow yourself to rest. One week taking off will not kill you. Just keep working hard even on the days you want to quit keep going because it will be worth it.