To The Friends Who Are Family

To The Friends Who Are Family

A letter to all of the friends who have grown up by my side, and have become like my own family.

10
To The Friends Who Are Family

It's been almost three months since we packed our lives up and went off our separate ways to college. And as happy as I am, I constantly feel that something is missing. Recently, I realized what it is. I'm no longer surrounded by the friends who I grew up with, and as amazing as my new friends are, there is no replacing the people who have been there through it all.

Dear friends,

If while you read that opening, you had a flashback to you and I dressing American Girl dolls, playing soccer, making music videos on old laptops, or doing photo shoots in strange settings, this is for you.

First, you should know that I have not and will not ever forget you. No matter how much time may pass without us talking, you will forever be special to me, please never doubt that. Please don't take it personally when you see that I've been to visit someone and haven't come to see you yet. I promise I'm trying and doing all that I can. My talking to somebody else or seeing them more recently than you doesn't mean that you are less important, or that our friendship means less to me.

You are a large part of who I am today. Seeing you, so extroverted and willing to show your true self is what inspired me to do the same. Never once did you change yourself for the pleasure of others. Had I not learned how important it is to be myself from spending time with you, I may never have been comfortable in my own skin the way I am now. At all ages, you remained your feisty, enthusiastic, and driven self. Whether it was making sure everybody knew that you were the one who made the save in goal, or now defending your political beliefs, you've never strayed from your true, determined self. To you, there was no fear of laughter coming your way when you sang out loud despite your lack of singing talents. If you loved the song that played, you sang along and anybody who cared to openly dislike it found themselves hearing your voice at an even higher volume.

Part of our friendship is the love between not only you and I but our families. Your parents treat me like one of their own kids, and my parents love you endlessly and constantly remind me that you are in fact their favorite child. There is no discomfort or awkwardness when you call my brothers name and ask him to get you water from the fridge because you're too lazy to stand up. We've met each other's extended families, cousins, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. You've attended some birthday dinner or another for me with my family at the table. And when the time came that we were deciding where to go to college, they all made sure to ask about you as soon as they were done asking about me. Your presence in my life is not only important to me, but to them. They see the true friendship and love between us and are content knowing that we are not going through the world without a quality friend by our side.

Thank you for accepting my quirks. I can't imagine what life would be like if the first thing I thought to do was something crazy happened wasn't to call you and tell you right away. When I'm a little crazy, you ground me and keep me sane. Thank you for comforting me while I cry over stupidity and real sadness, tragedies on TV shows, and boys who suck. I don't know where I would be without you in my life. When life gets to be a little (or a lot) too much, you are there to get through it all with me.

I miss you, but I know I'll see you soon. I can't wait to tell each other stories, to laugh and cry over memories between us, and to continue being each others harbor in each and every storm. Love you always and forever.