Everything I Want To Say To The Boy Who Broke My Best Friend

I wish you saw my best friend the way that I saw her. I wish you had gratitude for her fierce loyalty, admiration for her grace and I wish that your heart hurt when hers did.

1323

In the beginning we were all rooting for you. You pursued her relentlessly with kindness and respect; we were so glad to see her radiate with a different kind of joy than before. Unfortunately, that light didn't shine for long.

As soon as you had her committed, you took a wicked turn. I can't count how many days of hers were so gray with confusion and hurt because she hadn't heard from you in a while. How many girls nights she spent crying in our arms because of something you said or did. The amount of girls that would constantly try to contact her to let her know that you had been unfaithful.

What you should know about her by now is that when she loves, she loves big, and when she loves you, you never have to wonder if she loves you. I think because of that she really wanted to believe the best in you.

She gave you chance after chance to be honest, loyal and respectful. You hurt her, we comforted her, you called her, she ran back to you.

We nearly hated you only because we loved her so much. We watched her disappear into the midst of heartbreak. She wasn't herself anymore. She based all of her decisions and plans around you and what would make you happy. She lived in fear of upsetting you or not being enough for you.

You broke her into someone none of us recognized, including herself.

Even after you all finally ended things, I think she always held out hope that you would come back to her in a better, kinder, more careful version of who you were before. We begged and pleaded with her to help us, help her. What can we do? We would ask. What will help you move on?

The honest truth was that she just wanted to be appreciated by you. She wanted you to see how loyal she was to you, how much she did and cared for you. She just wanted to be enough for you.

For months we answered 3 am FaceTime calls, we took her on long drives to "cry it out" and we prayed every hour of the day for her beautiful heart to heal.

I don't think you are a wicked person, but your actions have been so ugly.

My only hope and prayer is that you grow up. We all know you are capable of bigger and better things than your reputation represents.

Today my best friend is stronger because of you, more independent because of you & has empathy and compassion like no other. For that, I thank you. Despite that it was once broken, she has never been so full of heart.