To my daughter when she cries in the bathroom

29

There comes a time in most women's lives when they lock the door to cry in the bathroom. It might be over anxiety, feeling like they have no friends, or because some boy who won't matter in 10 years broke their heart. But women cry a lot, and have a habit of locking the door behind them to cry alone in the bathroom. It is as if we want to be completely isolated in the most private of locations to stare at the mirror reflection of ourselves to see our mascara running, puffy under eyes, and the sad expression on our face.

There will come a time when you will be bullied, when a girl's not nice to you, when a boy will break your precious heart, and when you will think you’re not pretty enough.

Although I know there will be a time when I knock on the door asking what's wrong, and she with the door locked, says nothing as she stares into her reflection, I pray she remembers this:

The boy who broke your heart never deserved it.

You will one day find a guy who deserves your heart. When you do find that guy he will never make you cry, unless it's happy tears from laughing too much. He will protect your heart, not damage it. He will love you like Jesus does. Not like you're a temporary object in his possession.

The mean girls are fighting their own battles. ( I know this personally because I once was a “mean girl.") Kill them with kindness. It's the best revenge.

The girl(s) who uses her words to tear you down is fighting insecurity of her own. Pray for her. Wish her the best, and treat her kindly. Being kind is what will make her regret being mean to you, and having joy is better revenge than throwing shade back at her. Her words mean nothing and do not define your worth. This I promise you.

Friends come and go, but your family is forever.

Some friends are only meant to be in a chapter of your life. Your family will be forever. Do not let your so called "friends" make you do anything against your morals. Although at 15 youll feel like your friends are forever. Chances are you will go months without talking to them once you graduate highschool. Appreciate and listen to your family. They care and will always be by your side, no matter what.

Do not settle for a boy.

I'm guilty of this. As are many of the women in your life. Once you go to college, you are going to think that every foolish boy has grown into a man since they are technically an “adult." However, you are mistaken. Men are not necessarily the guys who are of adult age. Being a man is when a guy realizes that his worth is not found in how many girls he's hooked up with, how smart he is, or how much money he has. A man realizes that his worth comes from the one who hung the stars and painted the sea. God. So please remember to wait for a man. Do not settle.

God writes the best love stories.

God can write you a better love story than any Nicholas Sparks book. Trust in his timing and the person who he created especially for you. He wrote the story of a perfect King coming to you as a servant, only to die for you to be forgiven. If he can create that, imagine what else he has in store for you.

You are beautiful. Not because of who you are, you are beautiful because of who you belong to.

The King of Kings. Prince of Peace. He did not mess up when he created you. He calls you his child when you go against him daily. That alone is beautiful. Therefore, because of him, you are the greatest masterpiece. Sometimes God's greatest blessings are when he doesn't answer your prayers with the answer you want. This part stinks, but will help you with many moments of tears in your life. God will answer every prayer you send to him. He may just not answer it the way you like/want. God's ultimate plan is good. Trust his wisdom and trust in his plan. His plan is confusing, but in the end when you are looking at him and he says "well done good and faithful one", it will all be worth it.

To my daughter: you're going to cry in the bathroom, or somewhere where you can hide from the world. When the time comes and you do, I pray you look in the mirror and remember who you belong to.

Cry to God, pray to him, and be honest. He wants to be your friend and cares about you more than you will ever be able to comprehend.

Boys will break your heart, friends will come and go, and life will not always go your way. But when you follow the Lord, you will find that he can comfort you more than anybody else.

He can give you peace when you are locked in the bathroom crying. He is eternal.