A Letter To My High School Self

A Letter To My High School Self

Life is gonna change.

6
A Letter To My High School Self
123rf.com

If only you knew. If you had someway to expect it, things might be different, but in a way, it's made you who you are, now a junior in college. You don't know the stress you're going to endure. You can't wait to leave and be on your own, but you won't expect the amount of homesickness you feel for the family that now lives two hours away, instead of a few steps outside your bedroom. You think you have it all now, but wait. Life isn't as easy as it seems in high school. The work doesn't come easy and for the first time ever, you're gonna have to study, and you still might fail. You won't know how to react when everything falls apart around you and it's nothing like you're used to now. You'll cry more than you ever have before, and most of the time, it will be over homework and a test, not a fight with your mom or best friend. But Lord PLEASE do not let this discourage you. For every bad moment, there are good ones, and college really is as great as it seems.

Right now, you may not get along with your mom now, but once you don't live under her rules anymore, you'll realize she's your ULTIMATE best friend. She's the only one that can calm you during your 5th anxiety attack of the day, or the one to tell you to go out with your friends that night because you deserve it.

And you're pretty sure you basically know everyone and have all the friends you need, but boy are you wrong, because once you get to school and meet new people, you'll wonder how you ever got by in life without them. Seriously, they will become your saving grace when your best friends or mom are just too far away to take you out for that frozen yogurt you so desperately need or force you to go out to boost your spirits after your day was just the mondayest day that ever lived. You'll also become closer with the friends that went to college with you. Just wait for it, you'll still learn things about them even though you've known them for years. Also, your cherish your roommate(s). They are basically your live in therapist and the person pushing you forward all in one. It's great.

Despite crying and people hardcore judging you for it, it's actually the best stress reliever of all time and people will probably join in with you and it's all appreciated. Seriously. No judgement. and it's great.

You will change so much from high school to college, you'll hardly recognize yourself. You become more outgoing, more confident, more adult than you ever thought you could feel, while still feeling like a kid. Trust me, it's possible. If I could tell you to do anything different than what I did. It would be to get involved. I wish I had stepped out of my shell and done that. Go through recruitment and find your place with a sorority. You won't regret it like you think. Go and do all the homecoming things, whether all your friends are going or not. I'm sure you'll find someone going. Go out and just have fun. Don't back out on your studies, but take a break. Your mind will thank you later. Finish enjoying high school, you'll secretly wish you could go back sometimes. Enjoy college, you'll love it and your school. Most of all, enjoy life. Just take it by storm and don't be afraid. You'll never regret it. :)

Sincerely,

The college version of you :)