Another School Shooting & An Uncooperative Government
Politics

Are guns the real issue?

183
John-Mark Kuznietsov

Before you continue further on, I want to explicitly state a few things.

Please know that I am speaking as a young adult who is tired of seeing mass shooting headlines. I am tired of white terrorists being excused as mentally ill with a traumatic past. I am tired of politicians sending prayers out to the families of the victims while they're cashing in on the thousands of dollars in donations from the National Rifle Association. I am tired of the lack of action and initiative that our government has displayed in regards to gun control.

We are now 50+ days into the new year and there has already been a total of 18 school shootings in the United States. This means that a firearm discharged a round within a series of different campuses, jeopardizing the lives of fellow student peers who are being caught in the crossfire of an unjustified gun issue that exists in America today.

What hurts the most is I'm not surprised.

I don't care whether you obtain guns for protection, hunting or hurting — the fact that you can purchase an assault weapon before you can purchase alcohol is insane and I'm tired of people like Tomi Lahren that rely on double-standards to get their message across.

But weren't you just complaining about how foreign terrorists weren't being given enough attention? And I quote...

Let me ask you this - how many more Americans have to die before we throw away the PC garbage? These are your words, to be exact, so don't belittle our issues and attack our activism.

Don't tell me that people kill people, not guns themselves, because although I understand that they pressed the trigger and fired the bullet, if they didn't have it in the first place, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I want to know why you can purchase an assault weapon before you can purchase alcohol, and why the President of the United States placed the blame on students, teachers and neighbors alike for not identifying the problem in the first place?

Go to the source. I'm not insinuating that guns should be completely abolished - all I am saying that the regulations we have in place are not strict enough. Firearm access to the general public in the United Kingdom more restricted and, to no surprise, they have one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world.

Are you selfish enough to choose your guns over the lives of your fellow Americans?

Think about the 32 victims ruthlessly murdered at Virginia Tech University. What about the 26 deaths at the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting? Columbine? Las Vegas Shooting? And now Douglas. I shouldn't be able to name so many mass shootings with ease, but at the rate we're going, I truly am praying for this country.