Tips For Writing With Ease

Tips For Writing With Ease

It's time to show off your creativity!

10
Tips For Writing With Ease

Writing has always come so naturally for me. It is something I not only enjoy doing, but I have used it for as long as I can remember as an outlet to express myself creatively and to release stress. In high school and college, I also gravitated towards classes that focused heavily on writing and also peers who enjoyed it as much as I do. . I find it to be extremely relaxing. I especially tend to write when I am feeling overwhelmed.

Especially in school, it is inevitable you will have to write whether it is when you are taking notes in class, or if you are assigned an essay or research paper. For many, including myself, don't necessarily enjoy having to write about subjects that don't interest us. Especially when you are given an assignment to write about that you are not too excited about, the task becomes much harder to accomplish. For me, I procrastinate, and find that I become at a loss for words much faster than if I were writing on my own time. Everyone is different. We all have subjects, especially in school, that we prefer over others. While some enjoy math and science, others like reading and writing.

For those of you who do not enjoy writing, or lack the confidence in your work, I have compiled a list of tips that may help you to do your next paper, project, or diary entry with ease:

1. Acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses: If you have a knack for fiction writing, use that talent to your advantage. If you have trouble with sentence structure or grammar, seek guidance by a teacher, tudor, or family member who can give you the tools to keep in mind for future reference.

2. Find your "voice": Every writer has their own style. Whether you like to write or not, we all have our own "voice" that makes our writing unique. Try and stick to your own words, and not have to look to others for what to say and how to say it. It is more than okay to seek inspiration in other writers, but it will feel extremely rewarding to have it come from solely yourself, and to receive praise from it.

3. Avoid hesitation: The best thing you can do, especially when writing an original piece, is to write it all out and then go back and edit. When you have an idea in your head, sit down in a comfortable position and environment, and just let things flow. Sometimes when you hesitate, you may begin to second guess yourself.

4. Revise: Whatever it is you are writing for, always revise before finalizing anything. Look for things you may even be unsure of and ask someone to re-read it for you.

5. Welcome constructive criticism: Though you may not want to hear it initially, constructive criticism can help to strengthen your writing skills. It is also important to not allow the critiques you are given to offend you. Remember to ask those who will read your work to be open and honest with you and to understand that you don’t have to follow through with their advice, but you can take what they say into consideration in the future.

The most important tip of all is to not stress out. Even if you feel like you are not a strong writer, all it takes is dedication and some practice - you will get to where you want to be. Don't be so hard on yourself. No one is perfect, and even some of the best writers of our time have had their weak moments as well.

You got this!