times up challenge

There's A New Challenge For Women In Hollywood And They're Crushing It

Moral of the story: Support women in anything and everything!

58

A new challenge has arrived in Hollywood, and it's in the form of supporting women directors. Women in directing/production only make up 4% of the movie-making business. Only five women have been nominated for "Best Director" in the 91 years of the Oscars, and one of them was just nominated last year.

Thanks to the Annenberg Inclusion Initiative they are starting the "4% Challenge" to encourage others in the business to at least work with one woman director in the next 18 months. That doesn't sound too bad if you have more than over 100 actors and actresses taking on the challenge. Which of course they do - Armmie Hammer, Kerry Washington, Tessa Thompson, and Reese Witherspoon just to name a few.

Annenberg Inclusion Initiative has teamed up with the movement Time's Up to increase their numbers. Once Time's up hit the ground moving with the challenge they saw a spike in not only numbers but also big names in Hollywood. Many of them taking to Twitter to challenge their friends and coworkers! Brie Larson, Olivia Wild, and Rachel Brosnahan are a few who took the challenge on Twitter!

These women work hard to bring us some of our favorite movies and stories. There's always the question asked "But what about how much they get paid? Isn't the enough?" Yes, the paycheck is nice even though they don't see a paycheck like the men usually do. But what about the recognition? Every year multiple men are celebrated for Movies of the Year, but women are usually left in the dirt and failed to be recognized. 4% is a sad number, even when equal pay and equal opportunity are relevant topics in today's society.

We are being looked over, given little budget, not enough faith, and too much self-doubt in today's world. We've proven 10 times over that anything a man can do a woman can do too! It's time for our peers, co-workers, friends, and family to take action and show recognition for women in film, music, motherhood, sisterhood, blue-collar jobs, or white collar jobs.

Moral of the story support women in anything and everything! Who's up for the challenge?