A Thrill In Thrift Shopping

A Thrill In Thrift Shopping

Thrift stores are your spirit animal.

17
A Thrill In Thrift Shopping

Ever wonder where your clothes go right after you drop them off at a donation box? Not only is it sorted at Goodwill, but it gets distributed to families, organizations, and even other thrift stores if there is too much collected in one month. Here is the true beauty at a second chance of building that summer wardrobe, or spending less money on a pair pants when it is too much already just for one pair. Let me introduce you to thrift store shopping. We've all seen those shopping haul videos on YouTube, but very seldom did any YouTuber's occupy their local thrift shop before it became an actual, enjoyable experience through Mackle Moore's hit single, "Thrift Shop." You are more than likely to find valuable treasures whilst shopping at a thrift store.

My experience, at first, was, why do I need to buy these? and I'd rather go to a real retail store and buy clothes from them. To my knowledge at the time, I was not aware of what or how a thrift store functioned. At first, I considered it a place where people in need went to get the things they would need at a much lower price. Compared to other stores I've been to, however, shopping at a thrift store can save you a lot of money.

During my second visit, I became more aware and found things that were in my style, and even found designer items at half the retail price. A piece of furniture, say a sofa, would cost most about one-thousand and twelve-hundred dollars, whereas at a thrift shop, you can buy the same type of sofa, even if it is a little older, at around two-hundred dollars. The average I've ever paid at a retail store vs. thrift shops was around $70 for two pairs of pants and maybe a shirt, and if I wanted to go a little crazy, maybe throw in a clearance item. At thrift shops, I now spend close to $30, because shirts, pants, and shorts are sold at lower prices, so it gives you the feeling that you are indeed spending a realistic amount on clothes vs. the unrealistic where you would only be able to afford a small amount of pants and shirts.

Now, as a college student, I have fallen in love with thrift stores. Whenever I go out of the state with my family, we have to go to the nearest store along the way to check out what they have. Believe it or not, thrift stores are not set up the same way. Some thrift stores might have higher prices than most, but you are getting more out of what you're getting. Not only are thrift stores able to let you spend less on items, but thrift stores donate their funds to help out causes, those in need, and even help fund schools, whether private or public.

Without further ado, plan time out of your weekend to check out the nearest thrift store closest to you, and report back on some of the treasures you've found. Trust me, you'd be surprised at what you find and come across.