Reasons To Shop At Flea Markets

7 Thrifty Reasons You Should Shop At Flea Markets

Pop-ups and vendors have a little bit of everything.

237

Shopping is not always fun, especially when it is for the same things you wrote a list of. Week in and week out, you find yourself frequenting those commercial brands and store chains all too often. There are better outlets to check out and the best part is, they do not require any prep time. These are the reasons to go shopping at flea markets.

1. Special finds.

Price tags can make your wallet cry bloody murder sometimes. Rather than buy that name brand collection that costs the same as your rent, buy something that fulfills the same value. Flea markets have something unique to offer and for fair prices too. The owners and vendors may even be so willing and friendly enough to negotiate costs. Whatever you buy, it will be worth every penny.

2. Bang for your buck.

Sion Dana (left) of Steampunk Curiosities and myself holding his typewriter statue.

The amount of creativity, ingenuity, and variety behind the vendors and pop-ups at open markets is hard to find anywhere else. You never know what to expect and it is something different every time you go. You may even become a loyal customer to the makers and small businesses out there.

3. Shopping without the chore.

c1.staticflickr.com

Shopping does not have to be a chore or a listed aim. The whole point of window shopping is to daydream about something you find of value and to humor the thought of maybe purchasing that item. Now imagine window shopping but without the window. That is what shopping at a flea market feels like; no lists directing you, just an open curiosity.

4. Shop on the go.

upload.wikimedia.org

Most flea markets are open during regular business hours but that does not mean you have to be the first one there come sunrise or the last one there sundown. Plan your day around it, make it a ritual to visit your local vendors and attend special events in your area. It is a good experience to spend some of your time and money on or just to share with friends and family..

5. Start small, think big.

upload.wikimedia.org

Small businesses are nothing short of inspiring. Their commitment to quality goods and services is unmatched compared to faceless, nationwide corporations. When you shop small and local, you get to see familiar faces you can trust and come back to without hesitation. They know their products and people intimately, and that is priceless.

6. Go for the pop-up, stay for the Gram.

Discovering something or someone new is an experience you will not forget. Capturing those moments and saving and sharing them lets you relive your market day experience. You have a good time shopping for curio while the shops and small business owners gain some new customers. Flea markets offer the best of shopping and entertainment.

7. Support local and small business.

c1.staticflickr.com

The dollar does not stop here. With your purchase at a local shop or small business, you are supporting the owners and quality that they can deliver, time and time again. Not only is it convenient for you as a shopper, but it is helping the community grow culturally and economically through these local, small, but unique shops.

Flea markets make up more than vintage items. They are the place where commerce and culture create better communities.