A Few Thoughts On The World Around Us

A Few Thoughts On The World Around Us

Just my opinons.

7
A Few Thoughts On The World Around Us
Google Images

The world we live in is crazy. Things happen every day and some things are covered by the media and some are not. Teens die daily in gang- and drug-related situations. But the media seldom covers those stories. Innocent people are gunned down daily and most of these stories are covered. But some are not. Depending on where you hear it, a story may be manipulated. Or contain acts of lying by omission. Either way, the facts are not given. But video footage does not lie. We as a country are spiraling downhill and backwards quickly and for the worst.

Segregation laws were abolished years ago. But prejudice still exists behind closed doors -- and in open doors. Things have always been different for any people of color and anyone who tells you they’re not has never experienced it. I have. A few years ago while walking across the street with my friends to church, the police eyed us until we practically reached the door. Mind you, we were all between the ages of 13-14 at this time. We were not being loud, nor were we doing anything to disturb anyone around us. And yet we were watched. This accident may seem irrelevant to some in light of much worse things that could have happened and have happened to others, but, at that, age, I had my first experience with that type of behavior. Another situation occurred with my family at IHOP. Not only were we seated after a family of different color which arrived after we did, but, once seated, the waitress proceeded to serve them and ignore us.

I should not have to fear for my life when I walk out the house. Nobody should. But we do. And that is a sad fact. The general population is scared also with mass shootings occurring. Innocent lives are being taken. Being a parent in this world can be hard too. They are practically growing up in fear. They shouldn’t even have to be exposed to these things at such a young age. And yet they are and there is nothing we can do about it. If we try to shield them from it, they will hear about it at school. Or maybe even from a friend. Or a friend's mom. This will only raise more questions for the parent. We have to teach them to be safe and love one another no matter what.

The only way to solve this mess is unity. We have to put differences aside and erase prejudice and racist acts completely. Forever. It has no beneficial affect on anyone and only makes things worse for our country and our world. Once we do this the world will become a better place. Of course, there are multiple other issues, as a perfect world will never exist, But, we can take steps to make it a better place for ourselves and future generations.