Thoughts Every UD Fellow Has On St. Paddy's Day

Narcissism and holiday merriment with a side of caffeine.

18

D-Day has landed. That's right, the 17th of March has rolled around once more. For a fellow, this means long hours of keeping our streets safe, while also still somehow managing school. Being a fellow is a delicate balance between being a peer and a leader, and often it can be confusing what calls to make. While most students look forward to the holiday festivities, those of us who have to work have mixed feelings. Everyone knows there are two sides to every story. This is ours.

1. In the days prior, avidly checking the weather app.

Praying for rain, sleet, snow, the final coming, anything to deter even a fraction of the party-goers.

2. When your alarm goes off.

And you realize this day is actually going to happen. Forties at four? Forget about it. Try four midterms.

3. When you see the weather is actually going to be decent.

The rain storm of the century somehow evaporated into thin air. Thanks, St. Patrick.

4. The need to wear sunglasses.

To add to our air of coolness and also hide the tears running down our face.

5. The joys of people watching.

Making fun of the inebriated students who act like they have never seen the sun before. This is the only thing that gets us up in the morning.

6. The moment we realize we've become like the "cool" parents of our peer group.

“We get it guys, have fun, just be safe.”

7. Our affinity for Public Safety.

On these high-volume days we form a bond with our Public Safety officers. We’re in this together guys, even though we have no badge or real sense of power.

8. And when we live vicariously through them.

The times when Public Safety lets us hang out and watch them break up a big party. So freaking cool. I need a badge.

9. The freshman who gets stopped.

Sometimes our boys in blue need to lay down the law. And often times its a random draw from the crowd who they decide to scare the shit out of.

10. The harassment from the crowd.

Whether it be drunken slurs or just plain negligence and ignorance to what we are asking them to do, after a whole day of this, it can be exhausting. Just stay out of the dang streets, I'm doing this for you.

11. When the day is over.

But then you realize despite St. Paddy's day being on a Thursday you still have to work Friday-Monday. Cheers!