Thoughts on Becoming a Commuter College Student

Or, reflections of becoming a working girl

80
blogspot.com

When I was a freshman at Suffolk University, living in Boston was a dream come true. I had lived in the sleepy little suburbs of Chelmsford for my whole life, and I was more than ready to trade my Thomas Kinkade-style town for the tough and gritty streets of Boston.

Of course, the adjustment period is never easy; mine was no exception. I loved living in the city, but like everybody, I felt a strong sense of homesickness. Sometimes I would go home for a weekend; other times my family would come to Boston. I needed to create that important balance between my old world and my new world.

My new world was nothing short of satisfying. I was no longer “a small-town girl living in a lonely world.” For the first time, I felt a sense of confidence. I had made friends who were a lot like me: studied first, played later. We went shopping, grabbed meals and checked out museums. On days when I just needed some me time, I took walks along the Charles River. No joke: one time I made it all the way to MIT.

I enjoyed living in Boston, but I soon found out the city life was not for everyone.

Overwhelmed is a sensation all college students feel; some feel it more than others. My first roommate loved Suffolk University as much as I did, but she felt a sense of loneliness at times. It was not depression, by any means; she was always so full of life I don’t think she ever needed coffee. Regardless, my roommate felt like she was not getting the college life she wanted. Thus, she opted to commute her sophomore year.

My second roommate was just as enthusiastic about city-college life as I was, maybe even more so. However, things changed for her. A lot of things changed.

My new roommate wanted nothing more than to enjoy our dorm, pass her classes and just have fun. But rough waters were washing over her, and she soon realized it might be time to go home. Like my first roommate, she wasn’t depressed; she just wanted to get her dream college experience.

Finally, my third roommate was a sweetheart. She felt so comfortable in Boston and we had a great time living together. I am proud to report she will be returning to Suffolk in the fall to begin her second year as a Ram.

Another news update: My first roommate is now a commuter and a proud member of the Suffolk University sorority, and my second roommate will be commuting to UConn in the fall. Things couldn’t be better for the both of them.

Having said that, I think commuting to school this year will do me a world of good. From what I have gathered, commuting helped my first two roommates put things into perspective and helped them figure out what they want to do with their lives. I hope the same will happen to me.