Marvel Delivers Another Great Film With "Ant-Man And The Wasp"

Another solid entry from Marvel Films has hit the theaters.

27

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a compilation of films based upon characters and storylines created throughout Marvel Comics 79-year history. These films have grossed billions of dollars worldwide, and its latest release "Ant-Man & The Wasp" has grossed around $160 million since its July 6th release.

As a Marvel fanatic, it was imperative that I saw this movie, especially considering the ending of Marvel's last movie Infinity War. My brother and I were very excited to see it; we were anticipating the movie long before its release. Hank Pym, played by actor Michael Douglas, was an integral part of Ant-Man & The Wasp because the plot revolves around him and his daughter Hope Van Dyne. Hope, played by actress Evangeline Lilly, and Hank have located the original Wasp Janet Van Dyne in the Quantum Realm. Janet, played by actress Michelle Pfeiffer, got stuck in the Quantum Realm by shrinking herself to such a microscopic size that she was transported to another dimension.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about right now that's completely fine, because the movie itself was so good that the confusion you may have after it will subside. After watching the movie, even as a Marvel fan, I had to research exactly what happened in some parts of the film.

I went into this film with not many expectations because I thought the last Ant-Man film was good but not Marvel's strongest outing. I believe this movie was better than the first, but it still isn't my favorite film in the MCU. This movie still acted as a nice change of pace considering the seriousness of the events that transpired in "Infinity War." I'm banking on that most of the people who read this article have seen Infinity War, because I don't want to go into depth about that movie because it would spoil it for you. Even if you haven't seen Infinity War it doesn't impact this movie until the very end anyway.

There are villains in this movie like there are in every superhero movie, and their names were Ghost and Sonny. Ghost, played by actress Hannah John-Kamen, was more of the central villain of the film and her performance was good considering her character being unfamiliar to most MCU fans. I didn't know who Ghost was before seeing this movie, but I do know and it'll be interesting to see if she's in future Marvel films. Sonny Burch, played by actor Walter Goggins, was more of a comical villain who didn't quite do it for me. He had some cool scenes but I could never take him seriously as a villain. The villains overall in this movie were probably its weakest point, but the heroes make up for this weakness.

My favorite character in the film was Luis, played by actor Michael Peña. Luis was my favorite because he is the friend everyone should have, and his friendship with Scott is a movie in itself. Rudd and Peña have great chemistry throughout the film, which didn't come as such a shock because their chemistry in the first movie was phenomenal as well.

Ant-Man & The Wasp was wonderful, and while I wouldn't go see it in theaters again, I will be anticipating its availability on streaming services like Netflix or channels like FX. This film was a solid entry from the MCU and I can't wait for "Ant-Man 3" and whatever other Marvel movies that come to the big screen in the near future.