This New Trend Seems To Be Taking TikTok By Storm, But Does It Actually Work?

So many college freshman are posting on TikTok looking for friends and seem to be getting a good result but are they actually?

15
people gathering in the plaza

Whenever I open the TikTok app and scroll on my fyp I see at least one video every time with a kid saying where they go to college and then continuing on to say that they are looking for people to be friends now. All of these videos have over 2k views and usually have a lot of likes and comments. From the outside looking in, it seemed like people were meeting people and making friends from these videos.

So, I decided to try it out. I am a freshman at Penn State and I had already seen about a half dozen videos made by other freshman at Penn State. I would like and comment on them but nothing else ever happened.

I thought hmm maybe I'm doing this wrong. So I made my own video. I used a popular sound and only used the hashtags pennstate, college and pennsylvania. I just filmed myself and put text saying I'm a freshman and looking to make friends. Within two days I have almost 3,000 views about 100 likes but only 2 comments. Like 2 comments? Of course I responded to those comments but nothing ever came from it.

I'm not sure what to take away from this because this seemed to work for other people but it just didn't for me. But for real if anyone is a freshman at Penn State and wants to be friends, you know where to find me.