An Open Letter To My Dad

An Open Letter To My Dad

Thank you.

7
An Open Letter To My Dad
Scott McCandless

Dear Dad,

Growing up, I had a view of the world from your shoulders. You picked me up when I fell down. You taught me how to ride my bike, and that the most important lesson is “To never try.” Of course, you were never serious about the last one, but you have taught me so much in life. I never like to admit that, but it’s true. Without your support and guidance, I would not be where I am today. I know we have not always had the best relationship because we are so unbelievably similar, but we have a bond that is unbreakable, and I will be forever grateful for it. I want to thank you for everything that you have done for me, shown me, and taught me.

As weird as it sounds, thank you for teasing me my whole entire life. Growing up, I used to hate being teased, but now I realize you have given me tough skin. I would have never gotten through the high school bullies without the thick skin I have grown to have. By teasing me, you have also taught me how to have a sense of humor, which I value greatly, and if anything, the stories of my childhood will make a great book someday.

Thank you for sitting with me for hours proofreading my papers. Without you I probably wouldn’t have gotten the grades I did in school. You taught me that less is more and that slowing down while writing is the best way to write. My teachers should also thank you for this!

Thank you for letting me have you wrapped around my finger. In other words, thank you for my phone, my car, my college tuition, and everything else you have given me in my life. I know sometimes I do not seem grateful for everything that you have given me, but I want to let you know that I appreciate and cherish everything you have given me.

Thank you for all the advice you have given me over the years. Every time I have messed up, you would get angry, but you would always give me really good advice. You taught me that life is what you make of it and you have to learn from your mistakes to be a better person.

This one will sound weird too, but thank you for having your faults. You and I think exactly alike. We always joke around saying that I have the exact copy of your brain. We have the same faults and oftentimes think about the world in very similar ways. You have shown me, though, that it is OK to have faults. You have always told me to learn from your mistakes and tried to get me to not make those same mistakes in life. You push me to be better, and I will forever be grateful for that.

Lastly, this one is tough for me to admit, but thank you for always being right. You never bring out the “I told you so,” but you are always right. Most of the time I look back on things and tell myself I shouldn’t have listened to you, but if hindsight really was 20/20, you wouldn’t have any great advice to give me. I could vow to listen to you more, but you know I won’t, but you will always get that text from me saying, “You were right.”

Thank you for being you, dad. I know sometimes you doubt yourself, but you are the greatest dad I could have ever asked for. I know I will get old someday and have my own kids, but I will always be your little girl. I love you, Dad, never change.