Things You Miss While Away At College

Things You Miss While Away At College

It's okay to be homesick.

2
Things You Miss While Away At College
YouVisit

College is an exciting chapter in life. Most high school seniors are so excited to go off to college. There are many experiences that can be had in college and we've probably all experienced at least one of those. There are many things that make college some of the best years of your life. However, there are many things that you don't realize you miss until you're away from home for long periods of time. For many, college is the first time that you've been away from home for a long period of time, so they don't realize just how much they'll miss these things until they're away at school.

1. High School Friends

I'm definitely not speaking for everyone about this, but many of my friends at college have expressed how much they miss their friends from home. Spending five days a week for several months with high school friends then suddenly not seeing them for months on end is hard for many.

2. High School

Also not speaking for everyone here. I'm also not saying the idea of high school itself, but the more relaxed class schedule and the way things ran. In high school, the homework wasn't as much, the day may not have been as long, and life seemed a little simpler. I know many people who wish they would have cherished the free books and free education more while they were still in high school.

3. Home Cooked Meals

Even if your mom or whoever cooked your meals while at home isn't a five-star chef, the cafeteria at your college just can't beat a meal cooked at home. Home cooked meals are one of the things I miss most about home. When I come home, my mom is sure to cook one of my favorite meals for me, so I always have that to look forward to.

4. Family

Personally, I miss my family the most when I'm away at college. When I went off to college, my relationship with my family got stronger. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. My favorite time of the year has become Christmas because we get a month off of college to be home. Summer break is just a little too long for me. Christmas is also the time of the year where family comes together and spends time with one another.

5. Pets

When I went off to college, the very first thing I missed was my cat, Miles. He's such a goofy cat who makes me happy, so, of course, I missed him like crazy. I can't tell you how many people I know who have said to me how much they miss their animals and can't wait to see them when they go home on break.

So the next time you're home, don't forget to hug your family extra tight and take your dog on an extra long walk. Spend time with what you care about the most at home.