Things To Do In NYC: December Edition

Things To Do In NYC: December Edition

A list of events and activities happening in the city throughout the month of December.

22
Things To Do In NYC: December Edition
National Geographic

Whether you're a Big Apple resident, common city dweller, or a seldom visitor, the city is always filled with events and activities enjoyable for everyone. With winter well underway and the holidays approaching, Manhattan is bustling with festivities that are fun, festive, and even free! Plan a day, week, or month with the best New York City events of December 2016:

Mean Girls Trivia

On December 13, 2016 (even though it should have been on October 3) at Poco Bar in East Village, register a team of up to four to take place in this trivia showdown based on the legendary teen movie Mean Girls starring American actress Lindsay Lohan. You'll be answering questions about the plastics, whether butter is a carb, and how someone can be white if they're from Africa. It's at 8pm and is free!

Drunk Shakespeare

Five professional New York actors meet as members of "The Drunk Shakespeare Society." On the night of each show, one of the has at least five shots of whiskey, and then attempts to confidently perform a major role in a Shakespearean play. Hilarity and spontaneity are guaranteed as the sober actors try to keep the show on the road. Every show is different depending on who is drinking. Drinks and snacks available throughout. 21+ only. Purchase tickets here.

Grilled Cheese Meltdown

On December 17, 2016 from 11am - 4pm at City Winery, experience the best grilled cheese New York has to offer. The city's best restaurants have been challenged to offer their own unique takes on the cheesy classic, also to be enjoyed with beer pairings. Participating restaurants include Melt Shop, Noorman's Kil, Heros & Villains, and more! Your ticket will include tastings from each participant, along with complimentary beers and a glass of wine. There will also be games, giveaways, and more. General Admission: $35; VIP: $40. Buy tickets here.

Bryant Park Winter Village 2016

The 17,000-square-foot ice-skating rink and over 125 shopping kiosks and food vendors are now open for business! Holiday shops are now open until January 2, 2017, and the Rink and Public Fair will run through March 5, 2017. Ice-skating on Bryant Park's outdoor rink is free! (you may bring your own skates or rent for $20). Skating hours: daily 8am - 10pm.

Quiet Clubbing

From December 10 to December 12, 2016, Brookfield Place will transform into a high energy dance party under the Luminaries canopy. Upon arrival, you'll receive a pair of special wireless headphones, from which you can adjust the volume and choose between the DJs offered. The headphones display a colored light depending on your choice of DJ, so you can get jiggy with friends or likeminded strangers! The event is from 7pm - 11pm; early arrival is advised as headphones are first come, first serve, and wait times for headphones will vary. It's free! RSVP here!

Radio City Christmas Spectacular 2016

Get in the holiday spirit with one of the most dazzling shows of the season! Since 1933, the tap dancers, flying Santa, and the Rockettes have been delivering one of the city's most classic Christmas exhibitions. The spectacular takes place until January 2, 2017 at the Radio City Music Hall at Rockefeller Center.

Art School Acid Dropout

From December 16, 2016 to February 17, 2017, artist Grand Lindahl invites you to The Creek and the Cave in Long Island City to laugh, drink and draw at the comedy show where comedians tell stories, and audience members draw what they hear. Showtimes vary, and they are free to attend!

Union Square Holiday Market

Until December 24, 2016, brave the cold for this European-style winter market that has more than 150 local and national vendors offering an incredible selection of handcrafted gifts like jewelry and accessories, even leather goods and artwork. There's also a bunch of food vendors like Wafels & Dingers, and Bar Suzette. It's free to visit!

Columbus Circle Holiday Market

Until December 24, 2016, the annual holiday event features handmade items from local artisans and snacks from multiple vendors. It's freeto attend a peruse through the approximately 100 booths!

The Kings of Karaoke

At the Alligator Lounge in Williamsburg, from December 10 to December 31, 2016, practice your vocal prodigiousness with over 13 years' worth of song selections. Also, one drink gets you a free pizza! The party is each Saturday at 11pm.

New Literature From Europe

From December 7 to December 10, 2016, brush up on world literature at the festival that welcomes writers from across Europe, like Colin Barrett and Susan Bernofsky. Readings and events take place at Poets House, Goeth Institut, Center for Fiction, and more. RSVP at acfny.org.

New Year's Eve in NYC

NYC's biggest celebration takes place in Times Square, of course. But you can also watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from some of the city's best parks, or visit some of the other incredible events happening the night before 2017's arrival, like the Knitting Factory NYE Party, a freeNew Year's eve ride from Brooklyn to Central Park under the fireworks, and more!

Courtesy of: TimeOutand Downtown Alliance