Things That Go Through Your Mind Before Thanksgiving

There's more to look forward to than just the food... but the food is also the best thing in the world.

18

As I am nearing the end of my first semester at college, I am just a week away from enjoying an incredible Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey, the cranberry sauce, the mashed potatoes… my mouth is watering writing about it. Right now, Thanksgiving is all my roommate and I can think about. Here are some thoughts that have gone through my head before going home for the holiday, and I’m pretty sure the majority of them are universal among American college students...

1. REAL. FOOD.

And not only will you get to have real food, but it is most likely going to be really good food. Everyone gets sick of college food, mostly because a lot of the time it consists of botched efforts to make ramen at 11 PM after hours of homework. But in a very short amount of time you will be stuffing your face with slow-cooked, savory deliciousness. Cue the drool.

2. Day Ones

As much as you love your college friends, there is something so exciting about seeing your friends from home. First of all, there is SO much to catch up on. Also, you grew up with them so they’re basically family. And haven’t you ever heard that absence makes the heart grow fonder?

3. Oh, yeah, family…

Just kidding, I’m sure you’re really excited to go home and see your family. Or at least I hope so. What better way to see your loved ones than with an incredible meal in front of you? And the thought of having your mom there to listen to all of your problems and struggles in the real world is definitely a perk, too.

4. That feeling when you curl up in your bed for the first time in a while

It’s been a couple of months. As great as foam mattress toppers are, nothing beats the comfort of your own bed. And when you go home for Thanksgiving, you get to sleep in it! Hopefully getting a good couple of nights’ sleep in your bed will energize you enough to get you through finals.

5. Pets!

Nothing compares to when you walk through the door and are greeted by your favorite friend. Do they remember you? Let’s hope so.

6. Will I have to see… that person?

Whether it’s an ex-friend, ex-significant other, or just someone you really hate from high school… what happens if you run into them? After all, you’re both going to be in the same state most likely. There is always that chance. Let’s pray that doesn’t happen. Guess I’m not going to the grocery store.

7. Get ready to repeat, “How are you? I’m good!” about 1,000 times.

Maybe you see a lot of your family, some old friends, some acquaintances… whatever it is, you will definitely be repeating a lot of polite formalities. And maybe you’ve had a really rough semester and just don’t feel like talking about school. Guess what? You’re gonna have to go into detail about how “great” college is. Have fun!

8. SO close to finals. Which means, SO close to winter break.

You can do it. Once Thanksgiving break is over, you’re in the home stretch. Just push through those last couple of weeks, those seemingly never-ending nights in the library, and the crippling test anxiety. Then you’ll be home for almost a month and you can recuperate enough to do it all over again starting in January. Make the most of it. OH, also... CHRISTMAS.