12 Things Someone Visiting Metro Detroit Should Do In The Summer

28
MetroMode

Despite the city having its share of troubles in recent decades, the city of Detroit and its surrounding metro area is very much vibrant and alive. Residents of the city itself and the other suburbs such as West Bloomfield proudly claim "I'm from Detroit" and indicate the location using their hand (if you've ever met someone from Michigan, you know what I'm talking about) when talking to someone from outside the state.

It's both easy and challenging to compose a list of things to do in a place with a culture like Metro Detroit. There's activities and events going on constantly and we would do them all if we could. Here's a few of the recommended ones.

1) Comerica Park

The home of the Detroit Tigers is one of the most popular destinations in Detroit. Comerica will give you a snapshot of the blue collar, proud culture of Detroit as fans from all over gather to watch their heroes on the diamond.

2) Zoo

For all ages, spend a day at one of Detroit's jewels and see 255 species that you would likely not ever see except on a screen. For more information, check that out here.

3) Painting With a Twist

Whether you're an artist or just want you to try your hand at it, you will enjoy Painting With a Twist. This new experience with several locations through the Detroit Metro area allows you to paint alongside a professional artist or simply have a glass of wine and relax.

4) The Root Restaurant & Bar

The Root won a Detroit Eater Best Restaurant award back in 2014 and has continued its success becoming one of the Detroit Metro's best restaurants. Located in White Lake, the restaurant showcases some of the best eating Michigan has to offer.

5) Detroit Institute of Art

There's no better place to experience the culture of Detroit than the Detroit Institute of Art, a nationally renown institute that houses the work of some of World's most famous artists.

6) The Great Escape Room

An hour to escape a trapped room, can you do it? If you're looking for a thrill, The Great Escape Room located in Royal Oak is the place to find it as you and your friends must work together against the clock to make your way out!

7) Fox Theatre

The Fox Theatre is one of Detroit's most celebrated venues and frequently hosts artists in the national spotlight. Check out their website for event details.

8) Somerset

Somserset Mall is one of the most popular shopping areas in Metro Detroit. Home to the city of Troy, the mall hosts 180+ stores where you can find just about any deal.

9) Woodward Dream Cruise

Like cars? The historic and famous Woodward Dream Cruise is where you'll find Classics as people from all over bring their rides. This is truly one of the most famous annual events Detroit has.

10) Livonia Spree

A city wide party in the city of Livonia is a week long experience of entertainment for all ages. It is definitely one of the must-attend events events in Detroit as it has been enjoying success for over 40 years.

11) Detroit Beer Company

The Detroit Beer Company located in Downtown is one of Detroit's most popular breweries. Come visit and enjoy great food and beverages and feel the pulse of downtown.

12) Art in the Park & (BONUS!) Ann Arbor Art Fair

The art festivals in both Plymouth and Ann Arbor are two very popular summer attractions.