New York has always had a special place in my heart, I've wanted to live there since I was a little girl reading fashion magazines. It seems to be the city where everything happens, things that don't happen anywhere else. It always seemed kind of magical and mysterious, I never knew exactly why I was so intrigued by it, I just was. But reading these books helped me validate my unexplainable feelings for The City and sum up what about it is so incredible and unique.
I will start by saying this is my all time favorite book ever. I have never read a book that so perfectly depicts the brutal love-hate nature of living in a city like New York as a young adult. It somehow explains the unexplainable which is why so many people are so in love with a city that repeatedly throws them down and tries to break them, not through words but through the life of somebody experiencing those feelings firsthand.
This story is based around the competitive and ambitious art scene of New York City, although it can be related to the competitive nature of any industry in New York. It is full of the reality of the difficulty of succeeding in a place and like this, where it takes a special kind of strength to climb the ladder through the social and professional scene.
This is a timeless novel depicting the early days of New York City in the 1950s and 1960s through the eyes of an anonymous writer. His observations revolve especially around one young Manhattan woman who seems to have the city, and everyone in it, at her fingertips. To me, this book is about New York romance, which is not necessarily romance between two people but the romance of living in such a mysterious place full of so much power, confidence and opportunity.
Short and sweet this essay-style writing tells observations of the streets of Manhattan itself from a walker passing through. The writing is clean and concise, thought-provoking and full of love for the most interesting city in the world. I read this every few months because first of all, it is short, but second of all it makes me feel like I am in New York. I can see what the narrator sees, and relate to his admiration of the city.
- 19 summer books that will keep you up all night reading | PBS ... ›
- 30 Best Summer Reads 2019 - New Beach Books to Read Now ›
- Summer reading | Books | The Guardian ›
- Top summer books to read | Best holiday books 2019 ›
- The 14 Smart Books You'll Want To Read at the Beach This Summer ›
- 25 Best Summer Books to Read 2019 - New Beach Reads for ... ›
- 20 Books That Will Make You Fall In Love With New York City All ... ›
- Best books about New York: 50 essential NYC books - Curbed NY ›
- The Best New York City Novels by Neighborhood | The New York ... ›
- Category:Novels set in New York City - Wikipedia ›
- 100 Must-Read New York City Novels ›
- New York – 12 Novels that Take a Bite Out of the Big Apple ... ›
- 31 Must-Read New York City Books | Penguin Random House ›
- The 25 Best New York City Novels | Complex ›
- Top 10 New York novels | Books | The Guardian ›