There Is More To Look For After College Decision Day, Just Trust Me

Decision Day just leads to more decisions.

179
Mariel Loughlin

It’s crazy to think two years ago around this time, I had waited four years for College Decision Day. Everything I had worked for in middle school and high school all led up to May 1st, that day that finalized where I was going to spend the next four years.

At the time, I thought my whole life was planned. I knew where I was going to school so everything was going to work out right? Wrong. Seeing all the current high school seniors that went to school with me in the same spot I was in exactly two years ago makes me nostalgic. I scroll through Instagram seeing them pose with their college t-shirt as they change their bio to "*insert school name* '22" as I prepare to study for finals and finish up my sophomore year of college.

It’s crazy to think how so much can change in two years and how much older you become. Going into college, I thought I was all grown up. I thought I was independent and could take on the world by myself. That was when I was 17. I’m 20 now and have realized that I still need my mom. I need advice from my friends. I've learned that it’s okay to cry.

It’s important to realize these things and I wish I considered them more before I started school instead of learning them in school. Just because maybe I would have started calling my parents more and listening to my friends from the start.

My sister just decided on her school, and I am excited to see where her next steps take her. I look forward to being by her side and helping her prepare for the next part of her life.