There Is One Thing Unifying The Republican Party And It's Not Donald Trump

Don't let this past week of speeches and crowd cheers fool you into thinking the Republican party is unified behind Trump.

10
Cleveland.com

On the third night of the Republican National Convention, I sat in my living room watching Scott Walker give his speech when it suddenly hit me. November 8th is right around the corner, and it's going to be one nerve-wracking day. I will have already sent in my absentee vote, and I'll spend my day in classes from 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

But I can't imagine I will be focused. I can't imagine many people will be focused. Once you've voted, there's nothing more you can do but sit around and wait.

This coming election day can send our country in two polar opposite directions. The uncertainty is suffocating. As close as that moment is, there's no predicting the outcome. And this is not the kind of election where I would be happy regardless of which side won. Only one outcome will make me feel at ease, and that's a democrat sitting in the oval office. Without that assurance, I fear a lot to come.

While I was watching the Republican convention this past week, there was a lot of talk and speculation regarding the unity of their party. Donald Trump claims he is the unifying factor, but I'm not sure that's true. Republicans are not happy with their presidential candidate, a man who doesn't exactly represent the true values of their platform. A man who Paul Ryan begrudgingly supported. A man who is constantly being reprimanded by the leaders of his party. A man who is unsupported by five living presidents, two being Republican. There is no unity in that. Trump has not unified the Republican party.

But Hillary Clinton has.

If you watched even one night of the convention, you know what I'm talking about. Every night had a different theme, but to me every night felt like bash-on-Hillary night. On the second evening, Chris Christie had the crowd chanting, "Lock her up," which continued on as the motif for the rest of the week. It seemed like Trump's children were the only ones who focused their speeches on humanizing him. Everyone else's goal appeared to be who could amp up the crowd the most, and the most cheers definitely went to those who attacked Hillary.

There was one other theme throughout the convention that intertwined with hating on Hillary, and that was instilling fear in the American people. Everything was negative. America is failing. Hillary and the Democrats are to blame. Immigrants are coming to rape and kill us. Our current policies have made America weak and vulnerable. Other countries are surpassing us in power. Global warming doesn't exist; it's just our country disintegrating into the inner depths of hell and we're all burning up with it. Can't you feel it happening?

I don't know if scare tactics will work in gaining support from the American people. I don't know if the RNC convention convinced undecided voters to support Trump. But I don't think we saw any new side to him that would make people view him as more presidential. If you didn't like Trump before, I doubt that's changed.

This election has been unusual at best, but don't let this past week of speeches and crowd cheers fool you into thinking the Republican party is unified behind Trump. Their platform and Trump's words cannot co-exist and succeed together. He doesn't care what they write down on a piece of paper and present to the American people; he will do whatever benefits him the most, even at the expense of the Republican party.

On Saturday, the country got a peak at Hillary's running mate, Time Kaine. In his speech, he addressed Trump's strategy to instill fear in the American people by responding with the following quote by Harry S. Truman. I think it speaks wonders about the kind of person Tim Kaine is and what he can do for our country.

"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand." - Harry S. Truman