There Is A First For Everything

There Is A First For Everything

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

148
There Is A First For Everything
Grace's Camera Roll

Most people might believe that firsts are something that no one has ever done before. Whether it is history firsts such as walking on the moon, gaining women's rights, or it is a personal first like passing your driver's test or going to college, it is all equally as important, and I'm here to tell you why, no matter how different, big or small.

Going into my second year of college, although there are many things that will not be a first for me, I will still have some that are just as important. First day of a new season, new classes, professors, people, experiences, living space, memories, and so much more. Just because I experienced all of this during last year's journey, doesn't mean it is going to be a cake walk. It is okay to still feel the same anxieties, nerves, and uneasiness. Just because you have already done these things before, doesn't mean it should be easier. There is a first for everything, even if that first is something you or someone else has already accomplished.

Whether the same first is being repeated or not, it is just as important. First day of freshman year and first day of sophomore year are both two very different days, but equally just as important and exciting. Every day we are living in a 'first', so take advantage of the fact that every day is a new opportunity to do something you have never done before.

Now that I have completed my first week of Sophomore year, I can say that although I've gone through these motions before, they're not any easier. Classes are new, living space is different, and loved ones that were always right there are suddenly two hours away. With this being said, yes, it is okay to give yourself grace and realize that these are firsts, and they are just as important!

This is my encouragement to you, never shy away from doing things for the first time or second time, but first time to you. The importance will never waiver, and you never know what it will do for you, or someone else. Who cares if someone has skydived before you- you've never done it, so when you do, it's just as amazing. Dr. Seuss said it best, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

So right now, if you're like me and feeling like "I've already done this before, I shouldn't be stressed about college, or missing my family." Yes, yes you can! Or, I just got an A on this paper, but so did he or she. Or, I was finally able to run more miles than I usually do, but he or she can run farther. It doesn't matter- if it means something special to you, and it was a first accomplishment for you, then that is all that matters.

So, go out, be a first-timing, goal crushing, amazing human that we are all capable of being! Take advantage of the new seasons that our life takes us on because we never know what achieving our goals will do for others, and especially what it could do for ourselves.