Yes, There Is a Difference Between Politics and Patriotism
Politics

A young singer who understands how to put America first.

361

Facing hateful, aggressive cyberbullies, the 'American Idol' finalist, Jax, responds with a placating levelheadedness beyond her twenty-two years.

Invited to sing for the 4th of July concert on the White House's South Lawn, the young musician was barraged with threats and other malicious comments. Born Jackie Miskanic of New Jersey, she understood from the beginning that part of being a creative in the public eye means dealing with haters.

However, the hostile backlash she received upon accepting the White House's invitation warranted a response. From TMZ to FoxNews, Jax's videoed clap-back was featured on several media outlets.

She says, "I think it is really unfortunate that people can't separate politics and patriotism."

Truly, can we all agree that political agendas ought to be secondary when celebrating what America has been and what American can be?

Jax believes that "the fourth is about celebrating our troops and the birthday of our nation."

For the Miskanic family, American patriotism is paramount. In fact, Jax bases her perspective on "a strong military background." Her little brother, age twenty, serves our nation as a marine. Back in 2001, Jax's Dad served as a "first responder" during the 9/11 attacks. Thus, her performance at the White House's Fourth of July celebration is "an opportunity" for Jax to "honor [her] family."

Many Americans feel that our current President dampens their Fourth of July reveries. Jax purports an alternative.

Instead of viewing the Fourth as a jubilee in honor of "the President of the United States," think of the holiday as a way to honor "our troops and celebrate the birthday of our country."

America is not perfect. If you've ever listened to Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'Hamilton' then you know American wasn't even perfect at the start.

The United States of America was formed in the minds of our Founders. Despite their personal, moral flaws, the Founders had a vision. Their aspirations for America were then and are still a 'work in progress.'

That being said, on July 4th, we ought to celebrate what Lin-Manuel sings, that "We fought...for the notion of a nation we now get to build" ('Non-Stop').

All construction and subsequent repairs or renovations take time. Therefore, whatever your political beliefs, can we use the Fourth to anticipate "What comes next?" ('Hamilton').

Turn to our flag as a reminder. White stripes to remember the soliders' pure-hearted service. Red stripes to remember their selfless sacrifice. White stars to remember America's place as a nation of twinkling promise for the rest of the free world.

Jax's rebuttal exemplifies these ideas. She believes in the importance of honoring those who served and celebrating the freedom we enjoy that was hard-earned. Regardless of who was sworn into office, Jax says that she "would've performed at the White House," because she was NOT performing in his/her honor.

This Fourth of July, Jax will be performing alongside country singer, Sara Evans, and Johnny Brenns. She will be performing for America, in every sense.

Whether grilling, tanning or firing off mortars, I hope that your patriotism (NOT your politics) is on full display. Happy Fourth!