The World Within

The World Within

This is inspired by Harris Burdick's Mr. Linden's Library Picture.

42
The World Within
Book People Studio

The day had been normal, or so it seemed for Sapphire. Yes, her name Sapphire. Her mother thought it would be cool and mystical to have her daughter named after a gem. Sapphire didn't mind it really, she embraced her unique name, but most people called her Sapph.

Her prison (her name for that godforsaken place— school) had just been released and she walked into the school library, searching for a book. This was her safe haven, the only thing enjoyable in that place. Running her fingers over the old tattered books, Sapphire asked Mr. Linden, the librarian, about a novel. Sapph had ironically picked up a book whose color matched her name.

“Mr. Linden, what's this book about? And is it worth reading?” she questioned.

He looked up from his desk, glancing at the novel. His face then turned quite pale. “Sapphire, put that book back. Right now. Trust me. It is not worth reading. Just put it back on the shelf.” he answered back with a serious tone.

Sapph was confused by Mr. Linden's strong reaction to this mere book. “What's wrong with it? It looks like any other book to me. It can't be that bad. Are you pulling my leg right now, Mr. Linden?” she inquired with a smile…

“Sapphire, please don't ask me anymore. I can't describe why. It’s just— nothing good comes from that book. Please, just put it back on the shelf and forget about it. I beg of you. We should have gotten rid of that book years ago. I'm going to call to get it taken out of here tomorrow. So please,” Mr. Linden said as he reached for the telephone, dialing.

She could see the fear in his eyes, and nodded in return. Sapph placed it back on the shelf and roamed the shelves once more, as he watched her. When Mr. Linden looked away, Sapph couldn't help it. She went back to the shelf, grabbing the worn out book, stuffing it in her satchel. She grabbed another novel that looked like something she would read. She showed it to Mr. Linden so he was aware of her borrowing it.

Because most of the student avoided the library, Mr. Linden was very laid-back and allowed Sapphire to take the novels without official checking them out. There wasn't much of an official system anyway, and Sapphire was an avid reader, basically living in the library. He had finished his phone call about the disposal of that novel after Sapphire left. He went to grab the novel, and then he realized it. “Oh no,” he spoke as he rushed out of the library, looking for her.

Sapphire had just arrived home after a nice 15 minute walk from school. “I'm home! I’ll be in my room if you need me!” she exclaimed, letting everyone in the household know her whereabouts. She headed to her room where she grabbed the book and threw her satchel on the floor.

“Trust me. It is not worth reading... Nothing good comes from that book.” She thought about what Mr. Linden had said. But it really couldn't be that bad. She opened the novel and began reading. She had made it a few pages in before she fell asleep. It had been a long, torturous day at school. As she closed her eyes, the vines began to slowly sprout from the binding of the book.

They grew bigger and bigger, creating a portal in the process. The vines enveloped Sapph's sleeping body and pulled her in.

Rubbing her eyes, Sapphire awoke. She looked around. “Where am I?” Sapph began to recall what had previously happened. All she could remember was that she had started reading the book, and then she fell asleep. Looking around this forest-like place the tall trees towering over her, bird calls coming from all directions, she felt the ground wet with dew. Contemplating whether she was delusional or if this was all a dream, she decided to go with the latter; but then Sapph noticed the open book sitting in front of her. “No, it couldn't be.”

He had warned her about the book. Now it was too late.