The Unheard Voices of Radio

The Unheard Voices of Radio

People think that a radio station is just made of the deejays. That is not the case.

13
The Unheard Voices of Radio
Michelle Ma

People often listen to the radio and think that the whole operation is just set up in a studio, with the one or two personalities running the show. This is not the case. Every station in the United States has people who produce, promote and manage the stations and the shows that are aired. Even college campus stations have several teams that operate the station to ensure that everything runs smoothly. For example, the Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s station, WIUP FM, has five main teams that contribute to the station: On-Air, promotions, music, underwriting and production. Each team has their own contribution to WIUP FM.

On-Air Team

This is pretty self-explanatory. The on-air team is composed of those individuals who are the faces of WIUP FM. As of fall 2016, there are 35 on-air deejays in over 12 shows that air each day from 7 a0.m. until 2 a.m. These members have their own unique personalities that make each show slot their own, and they are what make listeners tune in and why we are not over dead air.

Promotions Team

The promotions team does exactly what it sounds like. They promote the radio station. Without this team, how else would anyone on campus, or in Indiana, know that WIUP FM is a real station that plays more than just country or top 40 (not that those stations are bad, but you can hear them everywhere). They plan and hold various events around campus such as acoustic and electric shows, Radio Week and host other campus-wide events in order to get the word out about WIUP.

Music Team

The music team’s job is to gather music from underground artists and make sure that they are heard on the air. It is also their job to pick songs and albums for rotation, so the non-genre specific shows have a good mix and range of music to play from. At WIUP FM, the music team meets weekly to complete their objectives.

Underwriting Team

These outgoing individuals go out in hopes to strike some deals with local businesses, whether it be to get a certain company to promote us and then the station promotes them, or even to gain station merchandise in turn for promos for a company. Essentially, underwriting team members write contracts in hopes to work with other businesses.

Production Team

Production team plays a huge role in making sure the radio station does not run into any legal troubles. They create station identifications, legal IDs and station promos. Without any of these, the station would seem unofficial and could run into serious trouble.

These teams come together in order to provide the people with a new radio sound. Without these teams, WIUP FM, and radio stations across the world would not exist. While they are important, the heard voices of the radio station are not the only ones running the operation. Without the unheard voices, the radio would just be boring.