The Sexual Assault Epidemic Of Hollywood

Power should not give you unlimited rights (or any rights at all), to hurt or violate another person.

82

In recent weeks, accusations of sexual assault have plagued Hollywood. Famous men previously known for their contributions to the industry are now known for disrespecting men and women alike. Harvey Weinstein has been accused of rape, sexual assault, and rape by more than 50 women. Actor Kevin Spacey has been accused of assaulting another actor, who was a minor (14 years old), at the time of the incident. Country music artists and directors and coming down as well, with stories of blatant disrespect and assault being made public. Hollywood is, by every definition of the world, plagued by a sexual assault epidemic.

Now, do not get me wrong. I am aware that the plethora of allegations surfacing does not mean that these abuses haven’t occurred in the past. In the past years of Hollywood, how many women and have have been assaulted, but forced to stay silent in fear of career destruction or slandering of reputation? How many women and men have had to live with such secrets, as though they did something wrong? The idea is terrifying. After Bill Cosby, I thought the worst of the storm had come. Turns out, there’s so much more.

Some might say that these women and men are lying or exaggerating. To that, I simply ask, why would they lie? What benefit do they receive? They don’t get money. Instead of their names being associated with their careers, their names are associated with a man that violated them. They are scrutinized by the media and others for their actions that supposedly “caused” the assault to occur, such as their clothing. This is not beneficial for them. They do not gain anything other than a chance to bring evil to light.

This abuse of power that has resulted in the silencing of dozens and women and men must stop. We must stop treating men of power as though they are not required to treat others with basic human decency.

To the women and men who have come forward: I believe you. I trust you. Your words and experiences have been heard and brought to light. You deserve so much more that what you had been given. If you’ve spoken out, you’ve made a difference. If you’ve chosen to stay silent, I hope that you have peace. You matter, more than any man of power.

You matter. It’s time the world believed that as well.