For the OKC Metro Caffeine Addict

For the OKC Metro Caffeine Addict

A (subjective) ranking of my four favorite coffee shops in the OKC metro area.

284

I drink coffee too much. I am aware, and I accept that. I find it a source of joy during my stressful weeks to hold a warm latte in the winter or a frozen beverage in the summer. Along with the comfort of the drink itself, I have found several coffee shops in the OKC Metro area whose atmosphere bring me as much joy as the drinks I buy there.

I have ranked each on three categories:

Quality of Drinks: Do they only serve your run-of-the-mill drinks? What about special flavor combinations? Specialty season drinks? You get the idea.

Atmosphere: Is there enough room to sit? Is the atmosphere more suited to studying or meeting with friends? Is? There? Acceptable? Wi-Fi? (The most important question).

Price: This one speaks for itself...

4. Classen Coffee Co. 

Atmosphere: 2 out of 5

Drinks: 3 out of 5 (Recommendation: Vanilla Latte)

Price: 3 out of 5

I'm not trying to completely disregard CCO, I promise. I have several friends that swear by this place, but it's usually my...back-up shop. The few times I've been there, I've liked the drinks well enough, but I end up having to get my drink to-go because the internet connection there is SO slow. I don't know if it's their router or the sheer number of people that are often there, but I usually go to coffee shops study, so this is a major let-down.

3. Starbucks

Atmosphere: 3 out of 5

Drinks: 3 out of 5 (Recommendation: Toasted White Chocolate Mocha)

Price: 3 out of 5

Starbucks is the baseline coffee I compared all the other shops too. The 24th Ave. shop recently underwent a renovation, and I greatly enjoy the new decorations and some of the chairs. That being said, there is usually not much room to sit unless you go at an obscure time, so I had to decrease the atmosphere rating. The seasonal drinks are usually pretty good, but I am often saddened by a lack of afternoon decaffeinated coffee for the (rare) days I'm actually trying to watch my intake.

2. Michelangelo's

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5

Drinks: 4 out of 5 (Recommendation: Orange Blossom Tea)

Price: 4 out of 5

I used to go to Michelangelo's a ton when I was younger, and just this year I started going again. The shop is warm and inviting, and there is an enormous selection of fun drinks to try. I love the warm croissants and hot teas, but I feel like the coffee shop is almost too quiet for me. If you have to study in relative silence, it's a great place, but I always feel awkward trying to talk to my friends because I'm worried I'm disturbing someone.

1. Cuppies and Joe

Atmosphere: 4 out of 5

Drinks: 5 out of 5 (Recommendation: Chai Latte)

Price: 5 out of 5

Forever and always my favorite coffee shop. The shop is a renovated house, so the atmosphere remains cozy and comfortable. The cupcakes are delicious, but the homemade butter on a warm piece of french bread is even better. If you go at what I like to call "Peak College Student Time" (mid-morning or early afternoon), you're probably better off getting your drink to go. I have so many good memories from the shop, from finding out I received a big scholarship there to just hanging out with my closest friends. Cuppies and Joe is one of the biggest things I will miss about Oklahoma City next year.

I'm writing this article while sipping a coffee (big surprise) from one of these shops, but the caffeine hasn't quite hit me yet. I hope these rankings will help you decide where to go when you need your next caffeine fix.