Never Say Something Is "Enough" When You Deserve More

What It Means To Have The 'More' Mentality

Goonies never say die, so you should never say "enough."

176
An infinite night sky

Human beings seem to have this idea that there is something out there in the world that will satisfy them:

"If I just had good grades, I would be satisfied!"

"If I just got the job, my life would be perfect!"

"If she just liked me back, I would be happy!"

"If I was just a little thinner, I would love myself!"

However, none of those things will satisfy anyone because as soon as you get them, you'll find something else you want just as much. But, is that really such a bad thing? Why is constantly wanting more considered selfish?

I recently took a class where the professor encouraged us to constantly want more. He said we should take on a "more mentality" because "no one thing will ever satisfy [us]," and I think he's absolutely right. There isn't a single thing in this world that will satisfy you for the rest of time, so why not want all that the world has to offer?

You may already know what you want in life, or you may not, but what about after that? What will you want after you get what you want? Or after you don't get it? I'm not trying to stress you out. I'm not telling you to make plans. I'm simply encouraging you to dream big without limiting yourself to one dream.

For example, when I graduate with my Bachelor's in English Rhetoric and Composition from Boise State University in the spring of 2020 I have no idea what my next step will be. But I will have applied for a Fulbright Fellowship, the Peace Corps, Graduate School for Theater, and Graduate School for English. Why in the world would I apply for so many things? Well, I have a better question. Why not? (Ignore the fact that graduate school applications cost money, that's really the only "why not" response...)

I have no reason not to reach for the things I want, and I know that, no matter what I achieve, there will always be a next step; something "more." Don't let people tell you that your dreams are too big, that your personal goals make you greedy or selfish, or that you're missing the point of life. Never stop reaching; stay hungry, stay motivated, and never say, "Enough!"

Reaching Hand