The Little Things

The Little Things

Every grand thing has small bits to it.

4
The Little Things

In life, there are things you look forward to. There are things you can’t get your mind off of. For example, it is a Monday, on Friday night you’re going out with your friends. It’s become a weekly thing. It’s something big in your life. Even if it is just for that week. That is not what I am talking about, though. I want to point out something smaller. While you and your friends are getting ready or heading out, a song comes on. A song that takes you back a few years, you all know every single word, you’re all singing. It’s that feeling. The little things.

It’s the way he looks at you. The way you feel as you stand on stage, with the lights down before your dance starts and the way you feel after. The way you twirl in your favorite dress or walk along a beach. The way your best friend grabs your face and kisses it. The way your favorite pen glides over the pages of your most adored journal. The way he curls his lips in when he kisses you. The feeling of a slight breeze while you are sitting in the heat at the beach. The smell of the salt water and the sound of those darn seagulls. It is the way the sky looks right before and right after the rain. The way your cat will tap you with his tail in a game of copycat. The way your nephew says your name in his little three-year-old voice. The way your little sisters come running in excitement to show you their new dance they made up. Or when you get the chance to wake them up. The feeling of cuddles. Let it be with mom, your munchkins, or your significant other.

It’s the feeling of seeing someone after a year. It’s the feeling of being snuggled up in bed with a coffee as the sky opens up and lets out rain or snow. Its when you wake up after a night full of snow fall and the world is silent and bright. It’s the way your hand fits perfectly into his. It’s the sleepy eyes as you’re walking in from a fun night out. The sunrises and sunsets. The purple looking clouds after a nice storm. The flip flop tan lines on your feet at the end of summer, that show how much sun you got. The quietness of a bookstore in the city and how as soon as you step back out and onto the street it’s loud and busy again. Clean sheets against just shaved legs. The excitement of getting a new nail or lip color. The way your mom hugs you when you’re sad. The way she says “I know what ya mean jelly bean.” The way your big sister never lets you win, but you win because you have her. It’s the winding streets of a 45-minute drive to visit your friend who just got home from New York or Florida. The way it feels to shower at home after vacation. Taking your shinguards off after three back to back soccer games.

It is every single little thing that makes you grin. The ones you do or feel for the first time in a while and you remember how much you missed it even though you forgot about it. So, enjoy the little things in life, for one day you will look back and realize that they were big things.