To My Baby Brother, The Last One In High School

To My Baby Brother, The Last One To Attend High School

Most of the time, these sorts of sentiments are reserved for the start of your Senior Year. Most of the time, people hold on to their congratulations and well wishes until you're walking across the stage to get your diploma.

27

Dear John,

It's time for your Junior Year, and that's truly unbelievable. I swear I remember the day you were born, even if it is the type of memory that's more like a far off dream. Most of the time, these sorts of sentiments are reserved for the start of your Senior Year. Most of the time, people hold on to their congratulations and well wishes until you're walking across the stage to get your diploma.

But today I realized that after Joseph drops you off at school on your first day, you will be walking into that school alone. Joseph can't really understand how that feels; for his first two years of high school, I was with him, and then you were with him for the last two. And it's not that I think you need your big brother or big sister there to hold your hand. It's not that I think you'll be afraid to face the days on your own.

It's just that I remember what it was like to experience school without my siblings. It's like having a whole separate life that no member of your family really understands. I experienced that in my first two years of high school, and I experience it now when I'm at college on my own. There's such a difference between being in marching band and being in marching band with your siblings; there's a difference between eating lunch with your friends and sneaking away from the table to harass your brother.

I don't point that out to make you sad. I don't want you to think that your experiences won't be as valuable without me or Joseph there. I just want to advise you to make the best of your days now. Make the happiest memories! Appreciate every moment! When you perform in the band this year, and Joseph and I are in the audience instead of on the field with you, try to memorize the way you feel. Make sure you never forget, okay?

Things are changing a lot, aren't they? Joseph is more of an adult than both of us combined. And I.... well, I make myself crazy with studying, but that's not really anything new. We've had a really good summer. We listen to music together a lot, we watch television together (although sometimes our choices in shows are a little crude), we play board games like Monopoly and The Game of Life. And with you returning to high school and band, Joseph starting college, and me devoting my attention full-time to my studies, we will probably have less time to spend together.

I guess we're growing up. And maybe the time between our fun and games will increase as we grow older. But our good times together won't ever end, you know? There will always be the next game, and I will always be looking forward to it.

P.S., I will also always beat you unless it's the Game of Life. Then, Joseph will beat us both.

-Ashley