The Inner Monologue of a Fifth Year: Job Search

Screw it.

8

He sits on the couch in his apartment. His hair is a mess, he yawns and rubs his eyes trying to get all the crust out from the corners. Still in his "pajamas" - gym shorts and tank top - he walks to the kitchen to get his coffee started.

He opens the Maxwell House dark roast container and takes a nice long whiff. Ahhhh... that's some good stuff, he thought. After starting his coffee, he walked over to the refrigerator to see what he had to make for breakfast. Upon opening the fridge, he saw a carton of eggs, some bacon, and spinach. Classic.

He filled up his coffee mug that said, "Mexican Coffee Mug" on the front and has a little ceramic cockroach inside. Breakfast was finished and put his scramble on a plate and headed back to the couch.

* * *

With his computer on his lap, the logs on to indeed.com to see if there are any positions he is qualified for. He'll take anything he can get at this point.

"Three to five years experience!?! Yeah, definitely don't have that, but it's worth a shot."

He filled out the application, attached his resume and sent it in. He found several more entry level sales positions, and nothing in the field he's most interested in. His frustration grows with each search ending in only entry level sales positions. He is disheartened, but he continues to apply.

"Why is this so difficult!? Seriously? Why can't I find anything that I actually want to do?"

He shuts his laptop and texts his parents.

* * *

The following conversation ensues.

Mom: I told you, UPS is always hiring.

Dad: You'll be surprised what you can do with your degree, you just have to be willing to do it.

Mom: They'll train you, and you get paid while you're trained. Plus, after a while you can move up.

Guy: I just want something in my actual field. I wasn't taught how to talk front of a large group of people or train anyone. I was taught all forms of media.

Dad: That doesn't matter. You need to at least try.

Mom: Go apply at Kohl's. They're always hiring.

"Moooooom I don't want to work at Kohl's," he thought to himself.

Guy: I want to write or be on the radio. I don't know anything about sales, or finances. I can barely keep my own finances in order. I hate numbers. I was never good at math.

Dad: Well, I don't know what else to tell you.

Mom: You're on your own. We can only do so much.

On the brink of throwing his phone up against a wall, he goes back to his search for a job.

* * *

After typing in Kohl's careers in the search bar, he realized he was staring down the barrel of a gun. He thought to himself "Screw it" and went ahead and applied. He sent in his application and waited. He knew it would give him something to do, especially since graduation was only a short two weeks away and needed to work so he could save up money to pay off the ever nearing payments of student loans.