The Importance of Healing

The Importance of Healing

Discover those people and experiences that are holding you back and let them go.

297
The Importance of Healing
Tess Nebula on Unsplash

As I am writing this article, it is the day after a full moon. A full moon is a time of positivity. Full moons are known to increase positive energy in those that use it in the correct way. They pull on emotions and send down an immense amount of energy but you must be calm to receive the positive energy that it gives. A full moon is a time for forgiveness as well. A time to forgive those that have upset you, situations that have affected you negatively and forgive yourself for any past experiences and mistakes.

On the night of the full moon of this month, I decided to participate in a full moon ritual that would allow me to forgive myself, others, and any experiences that had a negative impact on my life. This ritual went as follows: I first wrote down the names of the people/situations that I have yet to forgive. I wrote these down and then I proceeded to write how I felt about them and did not hold back. I was completely honest with myself and how those people and situations made me feel. After this, I took the paper, ripped it up, and burned it. Then, I partook in meditation and yoga. The reasoning behind this is to take one last time to dwell on those people and situations and let them go forever. Why? Because they are doing nothing more than holding you back and negatively impacting your life. After I did all of this, I said aloud to myself: I forgive everyone, everything, and myself for past experiences that have hurt me. It's time for me to let it go. Doing all of this prompted me to think about healing and what it does for the mind, body, and the soul because forgiveness is a form of healing.

Healing can be a tricky concept for many because it involves letting go of experiences that have (in a sense) traumatized us and have convinced us into thinking that we can't ever get past them. It is definitely a process that is easier said than done and is going to take time. Will I ever go back to those people, past experiences, mistakes and think about them? Yes. But will I dwell on them? No. Because dwelling on them prevents growth and can be detrimental to the mind, body, and soul. I've come to know that more now than ever. It's important to take that time for yourself. To allow positive energy into your life and let go of the negative bearings that are holding you back.

For me, healing is about being present. What I mean by this is being present with yourself, your life, and your actions. To constantly be mindful of who you are as a person in this world. It takes practice and it takes time. I definitely do not have this completely down yet but I'm getting there. I'm consistently taking time to completely sit with myself (feelings and all). Healing is letting go of fear, thinking, and harmful energy.

Even though the full moon has already passed. I encourage you to begin a process of healing. To discover those people, experiences, mistakes that are holding you back and to let them go. These things do nothing but negatively influence life, the mind, body, and the soul. A quote by Nayyirah Waheed, poet, and author, further explains this process. She said "If you need more time to understand how you feel about a thing. give yourself more time to understand how you feel about a thing.” In today's society, it's important to have a grasp on who you are as a person because there are so many factors that can deter you from being yourself. Whatever it is, let it go and forgive.