To The Friend Who Came Back

To The Friend Who Came Back

Sometimes the best way to appreciate something is to be without it for a while.

25
To The Friend Who Came Back
pexels

Whatever it was that tore us apart, caused you to walk away, or prevented us from being able to talk for a while, I couldn’t be happier to put it in the past. You coming back into my life is a blessing, and I hope that you’re back for good.

We were inseparable, like two peas in a pod. We shared everything with each other—our hopes, dreams, frustrations, fears, plans, everything. You were there for me through the ups and downs, there to listen to me rant, to comfort me, to shed light on what seemed so dark, and to remind me that I had you. I never once thought that you would walk away—but you did.

The time that we were apart was so much more important than I thought. In that time, I learned to live life without you. I stood on my own two feet. I made new friends, found parts of you in other people, but nobody was quite the same. You’re one of a kind and absolutely irreplaceable, which I guess is why I never found someone who could measure up. I never found someone who understood me like you did, who cared to get to know me like you did, or who I felt the way I do with. Throughout all of that time, I missed you, but I knew that if you were meant to come back, eventually you would.

You came back. After so much time of being apart, you reached out. I had almost stopped waiting for you to return because I had a new life—I didn’t need you back. I became a new person without you and learned to live on my own. I didn’t depend on you anymore. I think that was the purpose, though. I shouldn’t need you to function. I should be able to find my value in God, and turn to Him for reassurance, not to you.

The timing was perfect. You came back just as soon as I was ready to truly appreciate having you back. Once I wasn’t hurt anymore that you had left, once any trace of anger was gone. You came back once I would truly appreciate you for the friend that you are. You’re an addition to my life and a blessing. I couldn’t be happier that you’re back, and I hope that you never decide to leave again. Life is better with you in it.